AHMEDABAD: Defence minister and BJP leader Nirmala Sitharaman asserted that Indian Mig-21 Bison had indeed shot down an F-16 aircraft belonging to Pakistan.
The much-discussed retaliation on February 27 was refuted by a US-based magazine that claimed that all the F-16 provided by the US were counted and accounted for.
"The Indian Air Force (IAF) issued second statement yesterday (April 5) – the officials released the electronic signature which is different for every aircraft and can identify one.
It was F-16 which was shot down by our forces," said Sitharaman at a gathering in Science City Road area of Ahmedabad on Saturday. The event was organized by a team of Ghatlodia assembly constituency officials for upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
"Earlier, we recovered shard of a missile from our land which belonged to F-16. Such missiles cannot be used by any other aircraft," she added. "There is an article, but one section is already claiming that the US has not conducted any such probe."
Sitharaman, who was earlier in the in Vadodara to canvas for candidate Ranjan Bhatt, said that she was clear that the Indian Mig-21 pilot had shot down the F-16. On being asked if she would reveal the name of the F-16 pilot who was killed in the dogfight, she said that she may not do it now.
The defence minister took a potshot at the Congress party and the opposition, saying that they questioned the PM’s foreign tours. But it rallied other nations behind India when the country carried out strike against terrorists. "Currently, Pakistan is in Grey List of FATF (Financial Action Task Force) – due to India’s efforts, it will soon be in Black List," she said.
About Agusta Westland VIP chopper probe, Sitharaman said "The deal was cancelled as an Italian court had taken strict action on bribery charges in the deal."