• News
  • Education News
  • News
  • Florida advances proposal to halt H-1B recruitment at public universities following federal fee hike

Florida advances proposal to halt H-1B recruitment at public universities following federal fee hike

Florida advances proposal to halt H-1B recruitment at public universities following federal fee hike
Florida moves closer to banning H-1B hires at public universities amid US visa policy shift
Florida has taken another step toward restricting the use of H-1B visas at its public universities, moving closer to a policy that would bar institutions from hiring new foreign workers under the programme for a year. The proposal advanced following a committee vote within the State University System’s Board of Governors, setting the stage for a wider decision after a public comment period.If approved, Florida would become the second US state to impose such a ban on public universities, following a similar freeze announced in Texas. The move comes amid broader changes in US immigration policy, including a sharp increase in fees for new H-1B visa applications, and has drawn concern from university leaders, faculty representatives and students.Proposal advances to public comment stageThe Nomination and Governance Committee of Florida’s Board of Governors voted by voice to move the proposal forward, with no opposition recorded. Under the plan, universities would be prohibited from hiring any new employees on H-1B visas through January 5 of next year, while data on the programme’s use is gathered.The proposal now enters a two-week public comment period before returning to the full board for a final vote.
Fourteen of the board’s 17 members are appointed by Governor Ron DeSantis and confirmed by the state senate.Context of national visa policy changesThe state-level action follows a federal decision by President Donald Trump to impose a $100,000 fee on new H-1B visa applications, a measure introduced to curb what supporters describe as overuse of the programme. Existing visa holders who are already legal residents are not required to pay the fee.Governor DeSantis has previously criticised the hiring of foreign professors, stating that Florida should ensure its citizens are prioritised for job opportunities. His administration directed universities to reduce reliance on H-1B visas prior to the committee’s vote.Faculty and student concerns raisedDuring the committee discussion, objections were voiced by the board’s only faculty voting member and its sole student voting member, neither of whom sits on the committee. Kimberly Dunn, chair of the statewide Advisory Council of Faculty Senates, said universities “rely on the H-1B process to recruit world-class talent”, according to comments quoted by the Poets and Quants.Dunn highlighted that specialists such as paediatric cancer surgeons and leading researchers contribute directly to Florida’s health and economic outcomes, adding in conversation with the Poets and Quants that the H-1B visa is often the only viable pathway to recruit such expertise.Carson Dale, Florida State University’s student body president, said he supported hiring Americans where possible but opposed a categorical ban. He argued that the restriction undermines merit-based hiring and risks excluding qualified candidates before individual assessment, as quoted by the Poets and Quants.Data, workforce needs and potential impactsAccording to a US Citizenship and Immigration Services database cited by the Poets and Quants, 253 H-1B workers were approved for employment at the University of Florida last fiscal year, with about 110 each at Florida State University and the University of South Florida, and smaller numbers elsewhere.System chancellor Ray Rodrigues said the proposed pause would allow officials to study programme costs, wage practices and strategic needs, a position he outlined in remarks referenced by the Poets and Quants. Committee chair Alan Levine acknowledged potential challenges in areas such as medicine and engineering, noting that unforeseen issues could be revisited during the ban period.
author
About the AuthorSanjay Sharma

Sanjay Sharma is a seasoned journalist with over two decades of experience in the media industry. Currently serving as Assistant Editor - Education at TimesofIndia.com, he specializes in education-related content, including board results, job notifications, and studying abroad. Since joining TOI in 2006, he has played a pivotal role in expanding the platform’s digital presence and spearheading major education events. Previously, Sanjay held leadership positions in sports journalism, covering high-profile events such as the Cricket World Cup and Olympics. He holds a PG Diploma in Journalism from Bharatiya Vidya Bhawan and is proficient in various content management systems.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media