Continue Reading on TOI App
Open
OPEN APP

Mukhtar Ansari’s physical appearance likely in court

Mukhtar Ansari, a gangster who is currently in jail, is due to ha... Read More
Varanasi: In view of strict directives by the Ghazipur MP-MLA court, asking top home department official, ADG (Law and Order) and authorities of Banda jail and district police, to ensure physical appearance of jailed gangster Mukhtar Ansari before it on the next hearing slated for Tuesday, the ball is now in Banda jail authority’s court to ensure Mukhtar’s is present before the judge during the hearing.
On two earlier occasions, Mukhtar’s lawyers and the Banda administration had managed to get the hearing deferred in the recent past on one pretext or the other. Mukhtar has to record his statement as the prime witness in 2001 Usarichatti case against mafia don Brijesh Singh.
Additional district government counsel (criminal) Ghazipur Niraj Srivastava said, “As Banda jail authorities could not produce Mukhtar physically before the court of additional district judge-1 (MP-MLA) Durgesh Pandey on January 3 and again on January 10 despite strict instructions, the court on January 10 had asked home department official, ADG (prison) and ADG (law and order) apart from SPs of Ghazipur and Banda as well as superintendent of Banda jail to arrange proper security for producing him physically on the next date of hearing on January 17.”
Showing a copy of the court’s order, Srivastava said: When Mukhtar could not be produced before the court of additional district judge-1 (MP-MLA) Durgesh Pandey on January 10, it mentioned in its order on November 12, 2020, that the Allahabad High Court had directed for disposal of this case in a year.”
The order contained that despite the given period having lapsed, the prosecution could not ensure the examination of the witnesses. It further stated that there are clear guidelines of the Supreme Court regarding early disposal of cases related to MPs and MLAs. Not only Mukhtar, but other witnesses also did not appear before the court despite repeated summons.
In the light of these facts, the prosecution was directed to ensure that Mukhtar and other witnesses appear for early disposal of the case.
On July 15, 2001, the car fleet of Mukhtar and his supporters was attacked. Three persons including the gunner of Mukhtar were killed in this attack while nine had suffered injuries. Following the incident, Mukhtar lodged an FIR against Brijesh, his close aide Tribhuvan Singh and 15 others.
Interestingly, following his release from Varanasi Central Jail, Brijeshad on August 16, 2022, had reached Ghazipur to appear before the court for hearing in this case. On September 6, 2022, Brijesh had appeared before the court physically again while Mukhtar appeared through video conferencing from Banda jail.
Banda jail authorities had tried to produce him before the court through video conferencing on January 3, but the court had declined the plea and directed to produce him physically on January 10.
Mukhtar’s advocate Liyaqat Ali said, “Mukhtar has been in jail since October 25, 2005, but all his bid to give evidence in this case had been foiled. It is a well-planned conspiracy to stop Mukhtar from giving evidence against Brijesh. Conspiracy is being hatched to eliminate Mukhtar before giving evidence against Brijesh to ensure that the latter is benefited.”
Continue Reading
Follow Us On Social Media
end of article
More Trending Stories
Visual Stories
More Visual Stories
UP NEXT
Do Not Sell Or Share My Personal Information