Pb should hand over Shanan hydro project to HP: Sukhu
Kullu: During his visit to the Shanan hydropower project in Jogindernagar, Mandi, on Friday, chief minister Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu said it is time for the Punjab govt to transfer the project to Himachal Pradesh.Sukhu said following the conclusion of the 99-year-long lease agreement, the govt of Himachal Pradesh rightfully deserves to take over the project. The CM said the Shanan hydropower project does not fall under the Punjab Reorganisation Act, and that the Punjab govt has filed an appeal in the Supreme Court, staking its claim over the project. He, however, assured that the decision of the Supreme Court on the matter would be respected by one and all.Highlighting the fact that the foundation of the Shanan project was laid more than a century ago, the CM said the objective of his visit was to assess the current condition of the power project.He said although the project was operated by the Punjab govt, discussions were under way to transfer control to the Himachal Pradesh govt.Located in the Barot valley near Jogindernagar in Mandi district of Himachal Pradesh, the 110-MW British-era Shanan hydropower project, is at present, under the control of Punjab State Power Corporation Limited (PSPCL).The 99-year-long lease agreement of the project, which was set up on March 3, 1925 at a cost of Rs 2.53 crore, formalised between the then secretary of state for India in Council and Raja of Mandi Joginder Sen Bahadur expired on March 2, 2024, triggering a face-off between Punjab and Himachal over its ownership.Both Himachal CM Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu and Punjab CM Bhagwant Mann have asserted ownership right over the project in recent months and have also written to the Union govt in this regard.Phase III of Uhl project to start by Jan 2025: CMChief minister Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu also inspected the third phase of Uhl Project in Mandi district on Friday. He said the power generation operations would start by the end of Dec, 2024 or Jan, 2025. He said the lack of funds would not act as a hindrance in the completion of this project. He announced an additional amount of Rs 85 crore as ‘sovereign guarantee’ for the project, stating that Rs 100 crore had been provided in March this year for the project.The CM said the project has been ongoing for past several years, leading to an increase in its cost. As a result, he said, the state govt has now expedited the project’s progress.
Stay updated with the latest news on Times of India. Don't miss daily games like Crossword, Sudoku, and Mini Crossword.
Stay updated with the latest news on Times of India. Don't miss daily games like Crossword, Sudoku, and Mini Crossword.
Popular from City
- Former Tamil Nadu Congress president EVKS Elangovan passes away
- OMR-ECR Link Road project back on track: 58 buildings in Neelankarai, Sholinganallur to be razed
- Himachal Pradesh CM Sukhvinder Sukhu sparks controversy over 'wild chicken' served at dinner
- Watch: Car flies 25ft after hitting ramp on Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway
- 'Was playing teen patti': Groom spends bachelor night behind bars in Surat
end of article
Trending Stories
- 3rd Test: Rain forces early stumps on Day 1 at Gabba; Australia 28/0
- Indian students in Canada in panic after Ottawa seeks documents afresh
- Trump slams Biden administration on unexplained drones mystery: 'Shoot them down or ... '
- Tyreek Hill drops cryptic five-word message after Dolphins part ways with Odell Beckham Jr.
- Gukesh unfazed by Carlsen, Kramnik criticism, says 'World Championship decided not just by...'
- Switzerland suspends most favoured nation status to India, cites Nestle verdict
- IND vs AUS: India make two key changes as Rohit Sharma opts to field in crucial third Test
Visual Stories
- 10 popular Gujarati snacks to relish during winter
- 10 unique wild cat species found in the Indian forests
- How to grow Dragon fruit in the balcony or terrace garden
- 10 pictures from inside Amitabh Bachchan's iconic home Jalsa
- How to make Banana Almond Cake at home
UP NEXT
Start a Conversation
Post comment