Ranchi: Jharkhand high court on Thursday directed the director general of police, Tadasha Mishra, to furnish a sealed report on the alleged assault on the relative of a missing Bokaro girl. The court was hearing a petition of habeas corpus filed by
Rekha Devi, whose daughter has been missing since July 31, 2025. The court questioned the DGP as to what could have led the police to assault Mahto , who belongs to the family of the victim, who is missing, and is not involved in any case whatsoever, the bench said.
The court was told earlier that Rekha Devi's uncle-in-law, Sabapad Mahto, was picked up by the Pindrajoda police and taken to the police station where he was severely assaulted, resulting in injuries. The court ordered Mahto to be clinically checked at the military hospital in the state capital by a team of its doctors to assess his injuries. The medical report of Mahto confirms that he has suffered injuries on his head that may have further damaged his brain, Rekha Devi's counsel informed the court. The report of the DGP will have to be furnished in a sealed cover before the high court, which will hear the matter again on April 10. Meanwhile, the DGP informed the court that a one-man committee headed by a DIG-ranking officer has been constituted to inquire into the matter. The officer-in-charge of Pindrajoda police station has also been suspended, the DGP said.
A second generation practicing Advocate in the Jharkhand High Cou...
Read MoreA second generation practicing Advocate in the Jharkhand High Court since 2005, he has been reporting on legal beats for the print media since 2000. Have contributed and written news related to judgements and orders passed by the High Court as well as decisions taken by the other judicial forums, including the legal services, authority, and Judicial Academy.
Read Less
Start a Conversation
Post comment