Patna: The Supreme Court’s stay on the new UGC ‘Promotion of Equity Regulations 2026’ has triggered sharp political reactions in Bihar with opposition parties expressing displeasure even as NDA leaders welcomed the order. Protests against the regulations continued in Patna for the second consecutive day on Thursday.
While NDA leaders, who had earlier avoided commenting on the issue, welcomed the Supreme Court’s intervention, the RJD took a swipe by reposting a Bihar Police post on the apex court’s order and commented, “This is the Twitter account of the ‘prompt and impartial’ Bihar Police!” it said.
From Protests to Security Alerts: Patna Grapples With Multiple Challenges
In an oblique reference to the stay, RJD Rajya Sabha member Manoj Jha posted on X, “History reminds us that ‘judicial neutrality’ is often a myth; what matters is which ‘status quo’ the law chooses to protect. Jai Hind.”
RJD spokesperson Sarika Paswan said her party had always questioned the BJP govt’s intentions. “We knew this was a jumla, crafted with an eye on the Uttar Pradesh and Bengal elections,” she said.
Responding to the opposition’s criticism, BJP spokesperson Prem Ranjan Patel accused parties like the Congress and RJD of exploiting marginalised communities. “For decades, backward classes, extremely backward classes, Dalits, Mahadalits and weaker sections were used merely as vote banks.
Politics was played in their name, but there was no genuine will to change their lives,” he said.
BJP MP Manan Kumar Mishra said the Supreme Court order relates to shortcomings in the regulations. “The govt and the UGC will get an opportunity to present their views. The education minister has already clarified that no injustice or discrimination will be allowed,” he said.
Deputy CM Samrat Choudhary said, “It is the court’s order, and the govt will act accordingly.”
Union minister Rajiv Ranjan Singh, also known as Lalan Singh, declined to comment when approached at Patna airport. However, his cabinet colleague Giriraj Singh described the regulations as divisive to Sanatana Dharma and welcomed the stay. He thanked PM Narendra Modi and Union home minister Amit Shah, claiming the decision was vital to protecting India’s cultural unity.
“This decision is significant in safeguarding India’s cultural unity and Sanatan values. The Modi govt stands for ‘Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikas’ and the unbroken unity of Sanatan Dharma,” Giriraj Singh told reporters.
LJP (Ram Vilas) MP Arun Bharti said concerns had emerged from various quarters. “Going to court ensures all sides are heard. Whatever decision the court takes should be acceptable to everyone,” he said.