Nagpur: A woman sanitation worker was allegedly abused and harassed by an unidentified man while on duty on Tuesday morning. The incident triggered a work stoppage on Wednesday in Mominpura (Prabhag 8), where Nagpur Municipal Corporation's (NMC) sanitation staff halted operations, demanding immediate police action and stronger security.
Chief sanitation officer of NMC's solid waste management department, Dr Gajendra Mahalle, and Congress corporator Wasim Khan reached the spot and assured workers of strict action against the accused, following which the protest was withdrawn.
Khan said a complaint had already been registered at Tehsil police station, and efforts were underway to identify and trace the suspect. He warned against harassment of sanitation staff—especially women—and urged citizens to help identify the accused.
He added that sanitation workers are vital to maintaining the city's hygiene and their safety must be ensured by both the administration and the public.
The case has raised fresh concerns over the safety of women sanitation workers, coming days after a similar harassment incident in Dharampeth zone near Ambazari. Workers have demanded increased police patrolling in vulnerable areas and stricter action against offenders.
Civic officials said the incident was being treated seriously and further action would follow once the accused is identified.