MUMBAI: Western Railway (WR) is all set to complete demolition of Gokhale bridge, which connects S V Road in Andheri west with Western Express Highway in the east, by March, as it has appointed the contractor to undertake the work.
"The tenders were opened on December 2 and the contractor was appointed within 24 hours," WR chief public relations officer Sumit Thakur said.
The same contractor, who had pulled down Carnac and Hancock bridges above Central Railway tracks and Delisle bridge at Lower Parel above WR tracks, will undertake the demolition of Gokhale bridge.
WR has finalised the demolition contract for nearly Rs 11.5 crore. The cost has been reimbursed by the BMC.
Gokhale bridge has been shut since November 3 after the BMC found it unsafe and decided to reconstruct it. After initially refusing, WR decided to undertake the demolition work after deputy chief minister Devendra Fadnavis's request to Union railway minister Ashwini Vaishnaw.
WR had earlier said the demolition will begin in January 2023 and the north carriageway will be pulled down by March. Dismantling of the bridge's parapet, vertical columns along the parapet, concrete of corroded trough and advance cutting will be undertaken initially. After this, a mega block of about 30 hours will be planned to remove the girder part and complete the demolition work.
A B Infrabuild Ltd was finalised as the contractor for reconstruction of Gokhale bridge over the railway portion by the BMC on November 30. A B Infrabuild Ltd, which will also reconstruct Carnac bridge, is currently building the road over-bridge at Vidyavihar.
BMC aims to open two lanes of the reconstructed bridge before the end of May 2023, and the other two before the September-end.
Start a Conversation
Post comment