This story is from April 11, 2016
Prime plots gifted by government lie idle or are misused
MUMBAI: The Maharashtra government's policy of alloting
Since the early 1990s, large chunks of real estate in the Four Bungalows-Lokhandwala Complex precinct in Andheri have been parcelled off to trusts run by artistes, politicians and bureaucrats. Some have commenced commercial activities, others plan to do so while the odd plot has gone to seed. Some plots also lie vacant and unused years after they were allotted. Real estate in this area is among the costliest in the suburbs with flats selling around Rs 25,000 per sq ft.
Opposite Kokilaben Ambani Hospital, whose land was allotted to heart surgeon Nitu Mandke at concessional rate, is a large vacant patch of land overgrown with shrubs. Music director Naushad was allotted this plot by the state government to build a music academy in 2004. He passed away two years later in 2006. To date, not a brick has been laid upon the site. According to a 1983 government resolution, an allottee should be able to show that 25% of the funds required to construct the building is immediately available. The balance should be available within two years and construction should begin. If the rule is violated, the government can begin the process of taking back the land from the allottee.
Naushad's son Rehman Naushad said, "We do intend to fulfil my father's dream and hope to begin construction within a month. Other trustees like composer Uttam Singh are doing their best to raise funds." However, Singh shrugged off responsibility, saying only Naushad's family was aware of the status of the project.
Along Lokhandwala Road is Congressman Narayan Rane's Sindhudurg Bhavan whose ground floor has been sublet to a marriage hall. The fourth floor houses vacant 'classrooms'. According to the rules, commercialization of the plots is not allowed and use of the allotted land for any purpose other than what it was given for is also prohibited. TOI met Rane's son Nilesh during a visit to the site. He said, "We have been urging self-help groups to come and avail of this space free of cost. We also invited students from Mumbai University to come. In fact, so much controversy has erupted over this plot that we would not mind returning it if the government wishes."
Revenue minister Eknath Khadse said in the legislative council recently that the government would take back the plots if they are found to be misused. A list of all the plots that are lying idle will be compiled and the process of taking back such land will also be initiated.
In close vicinity is the Gyan Kendra Educational Trust. It is led by Subhash Pandey, a former BSP minister in Uttar Pradesh. Pandey received a windfall of no less than 15,000 sq ft of prime property at concessional rates.
In the first instalment he was granted 3,000 sq metres of land where he built Gyan Kendra High School. This plot was later "amalgamated" with an adjacent BMC playground that measures 4,000 sq m. In fact, longtime residents of Four Bungalows remember a signboard announcing that Gyan Kendra was merely the caretaker of the site. Soon, the trustees closed that playground to the public and are now building a college there. As if that were not enough, another enormous 7,000 sq m plot behind the school has been handed over to Pandey for "exclusive use" by his students. Pandey admits, "The collector has cancelled our allotment of the 4,000 sq m plot because by mistake we exceeded the boundaries by 150 sq ft while building the college. So construction is stalled since 2008. But we had used the FSI of the amalgamated plot so there were no violations. We have appealed against the cancellation and the issue is being resolved in our favour. We are doing everything in a legal way." When TOI pointed out that citizens had been deprived of 11,000 sq m of a prime tract of land, Pandey said, "That is for policy-makers to answer. In any case, there is a recreation ground on the other side. People can go there."
land
toprivate trusts
at heavily subsidized rates has cost citizens dear.Opposite Kokilaben Ambani Hospital, whose land was allotted to heart surgeon Nitu Mandke at concessional rate, is a large vacant patch of land overgrown with shrubs. Music director Naushad was allotted this plot by the state government to build a music academy in 2004. He passed away two years later in 2006. To date, not a brick has been laid upon the site. According to a 1983 government resolution, an allottee should be able to show that 25% of the funds required to construct the building is immediately available. The balance should be available within two years and construction should begin. If the rule is violated, the government can begin the process of taking back the land from the allottee.
Naushad's son Rehman Naushad said, "We do intend to fulfil my father's dream and hope to begin construction within a month. Other trustees like composer Uttam Singh are doing their best to raise funds." However, Singh shrugged off responsibility, saying only Naushad's family was aware of the status of the project.
Along Lokhandwala Road is Congressman Narayan Rane's Sindhudurg Bhavan whose ground floor has been sublet to a marriage hall. The fourth floor houses vacant 'classrooms'. According to the rules, commercialization of the plots is not allowed and use of the allotted land for any purpose other than what it was given for is also prohibited. TOI met Rane's son Nilesh during a visit to the site. He said, "We have been urging self-help groups to come and avail of this space free of cost. We also invited students from Mumbai University to come. In fact, so much controversy has erupted over this plot that we would not mind returning it if the government wishes."
Revenue minister Eknath Khadse said in the legislative council recently that the government would take back the plots if they are found to be misused. A list of all the plots that are lying idle will be compiled and the process of taking back such land will also be initiated.
In close vicinity is the Gyan Kendra Educational Trust. It is led by Subhash Pandey, a former BSP minister in Uttar Pradesh. Pandey received a windfall of no less than 15,000 sq ft of prime property at concessional rates.
Top Comment
Jatin Parmar
3194 days ago
Plot should be Taken back from nitu mandke, specially from gyan kendra and Rane they have misused the plot for their benefits, In name of college they open up restaurant. All the plots are very close to house just 1min walking, I have seen this I would say land grabbing and using for commercial in area like high rise andheri. There is no more open playground left in andheri four bungalow. Govt should taken it make a free open playground for public.Read allPost comment
Popular from City
- Coach attendant, TTE thrash passenger onboard Amritsar-Katihar Express after 'booze party'; video goes viral
- Overcrowding, unregulated token distribution: What triggered deadly Tirupati stampede
- Massive fire breaks out at residential building in Mumbai
- 'My hubby watches from Saudi as his friends rape me here': UP woman
- Dressed as bride and groom on 26th anniversary, Nagpur couple parties till midnight, dies by suicide
end of article
Trending Stories
- Elon Musk's one-word take on alarming population decline in India and China
- How Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang's one sentence wiped out $8 billion in market cap of quantum computing companies
- CTET Result 2024 for December session declared, check direct link
- Massive fire breaks out at residential building in Mumbai
- Integrate KR Pura loop with Hebbal flyover in 100 days, CS tells BDA
- CBSE issues important notice for schools on mandatory document uploading and teacher details
- Vaikuntha Ekadashi 2025: Date, Parana Time, Puja Rituals and Significance
Visual Stories
- 14 popular vegetarian dishes around the world
- 11 biggest fruits in the world
- How to grow Pomegranate in the terrace or balcony garden
- 10 popular vegetarian dishes for a nutritious breakfast
- Krithi Shetty embodies timeless grace
UP NEXT