This story is from February 17, 2014

Lahoria murder accused's bail challenged

The son of slain developer Sunil Lahoria, Sandeep, on Friday filed a special leave petition (SPL) before the Supreme Court challenging the 30-day interim 30 days bail granted to main accused Suresh Bijlani.
Lahoria murder accused's bail challenged
MUMBAI: The son of slain developer Sunil Lahoria, Sandeep, on Friday filed a special leave petition (SPL) before the Supreme Court challenging the 30-day interim 30 days bail granted to main accused Suresh Bijlani. Lahoria was killed on February 16, 2013. Two days before the first anniversary of his father Sunil Lahoria's murder, son Sandeep Lahoria filed a special leave petition (SPL) before the supreme court challenging the interim 30 days bail granted to main accused Suresh Bijlani last week.The SC last week granted 30-day interim bail to Suresh Bijlani on the grounds of his father's illness health and he has to take care of him. Suresh Bijlani being the elder son if released he may assist his father in getting the basic medical attention his application stated.Sandeep has engaged senior lawyer K T S Tulsi for the battle in SCwho has filed the petition before the apex court challenging Suresh Bijlani's bail. In his petition, Sandeep has alleged that Suresh Bijlani misinformed the court."There are five adult members in Suresh Bijlani's family who can take care of his aged father.
Suresh Bijlani and his father are staying separately for the last few years," the petition stated. and there is threat to life of Sandeep by some of the accused, these are some of the reasons cited in the SPL.The matter is likely to come up for hearing on February 21. Ten different courts, including the SC, had rejected Suresh Bijlani's bail applications and the apex court had even pulled up the Indore high court for granting him transit bail in June 2013.Police said that Bijlani who had surrendered before police in July last year after remaining absconding for five months, sought bail on the grounds that his father Chellaram who is more than 70-years old is suffering from life threatening disease and needed urgent medical attention.The city crime branch said they would move the apex court by Monday and oppose Suresh Bijlani's bail on the grounds that he could tamper with the evidence and threaten witnesses in the case. "We are yet to arrest the two important accused-Mahesh Bijlani and Anurag Garg- in the case. A supplementary chargesheet will be filed soon," said a senior police officer Lahoria's son Sandeep too is moving supreme court opposing Bijlani's bail.Meanwhile the city crime branch have completed the process of attachments of absconding Mahesh Bijlani and architect Anuragh Garg's properties after the Thane court directed to do as duo failed to turn up.According to the police, the accused were upset with Lahoria after he sought information on their illegal constructions in Navi Mumbai. Lahoria had filed several applications under the Right To Information Act with the civic body and Cidco over FSI violations in Navi Mumbai.

author
About the AuthorS Ahmed Ali

S Ahmed Ali, principal correspondent at The Times of India, Mumbai, covers crime and related isues but sometimes he also takes up offbeat subjects. His interests: automobiles particularly bikes, and gymming.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media