LUDHIANA: Change of venue of the taekwondo championship, to be held as part of District School Games, at the last minute on Tuesday proved costly for few players, who not make it to the new venue on time.
As many as five
taekwondo players
, including one national and two state-level athletes, missed the event due to the alleged mismanagement of the sports department of district education office.
The taekwondo championship under District School Games was supposed to be held at
Government Senior Secondary School
in Gill village on Tuesday morning. All players had reached the venue around 8:30am. But after waiting for a few hours, they got to know that assistant education officer (sports) Jaswinder Kaur has changed the venue and has asked them to reach a private academy on Pakhowal Road for the championship.
After getting the information, these girls called up Karan Thakur, secretary, District Taekwondo Association.
Talking to TOI, Karan Thakur said, "I got a call from players who said that the venue of taekwondo championship has been changed. I rushed to the school and asked the AEO and the school principal present at venue about the entire matter. There was some issue regarding making arrangements of mats and other required material for the competition. I told students to go to the new venue and went back as I got an urgent call."
Vanshika Aggarwal
, 16, a taekwondo player, shared, "Players who had come with their coaches or parents went to the new venue. Some players went in vehicles of officials and others by public transport. However, we had no vehicle and reaching the new venue was not possible for us."
Thereafter, the players reached the mini secretariat and gave a complaint to additional deputy commissioner (general)
Rishipal Singh
mentioning how they have been harassed.
Meanwhile, the mismanagement of education department may affect the future of players who were hoping to get admission in college under sports quota.
National-level taekwondo player Usha Pal, a class XII student, whose father is a vegetable seller said, "We cannot afford admission in a private college. I was planning to get admission under sports quota next year. However, now it might not be possible."
Importantly, players can take part at national level competitions after winning district and state-level competitions.
A state-level player, Meenu, a student of class XII and a daughter of an electrician, said, "Last year, I won silver in state-level competition and this year, I worked even harder to make it to the national level."
Meenu also alleged whenever the department organizes competitions at private academies, results are often in their favour. "Officials indulge in partiality just to please private academies," she alleged.
ADC (general) Rishipal Singh said, "I have marked an inquiry to ADC (grievances)
Surjeet Singh
over the issue."
AEO (sports) Jaswinder Singh was unavailable for comment.
Payal Dhawan is a senior correspondent with the Times of India Ne...
Read MorePayal Dhawan is a senior correspondent with the Times of India Newspaper, based in Ludhiana, Punjab since 2013. She covers crime, police administration, prisons, vigilance bureau and NIA. She also writes on weapon culture in Punjab, various gangs and jail inmates besides other issues.
Read Less
Start a Conversation
Post comment