Continue on TOI App
Open App
OPEN APP

Dancer: Legal battle in US, can’t pursue guv rape case

KOLKATA: The Kolkata-based Odissi dancer who had, last Oct, accused Bengal governor C V Ananda Bose and his nephew of rape, has issued a statement, categorically denying withdrawing the case but clarified she did not actively want to "pursue" it either, because a protracted legal battle in the US — pending before the US vice-president and the Centre — was taking a toll on her health.

Tired of too many ads?go ad free now

The statement was issued to senior Trinamool functionary Kunal Ghosh, who shared it on Facebook.


The dancer — who used to stay in the US — had accused the governor and his nephew of sexual abuse in a Delhi star hotel in Jan 2023. She moved back to Kolkata after getting embroiled in the legal issue. It was this legal issue that had prompted her to approach the governor, even travelling to Delhi after she was promised help, she had told police.


Based on her complaint, the Hare Street police had filed a zero FIR for rape and criminal conspiracy against the governor's nephew (the governor may have constitutional immunity in such matters) and sent it to Delhi Police.

Tired of too many ads?go ad free now

The statement clearly says that she has not withdrawn the complaint, adding she did not "want to pursue the Governor Bose related complaint." She said she was fighting a very critical legal battle and "and along with it, my failing health, does not allow me to pursue the Governor Bose related matter at this point."


This development came in the backdrop of Bose shooting off complaints against Kolkata Police commissioner Vineet Goyal and DCP (Central) Indira Mukherjee to the Centre and state, seeking their removal for "misconduct and functioning in a manner unbecoming of members of all-India services." TOI, on Monday (July 8) had reported that MHA sources had made it clear that rules governing All-India Services did not permit Centre to unilaterally initiate action against IPS officers serving in a state. Only the CM of the state concerned could do so.

Tired of too many ads?go ad free now

Ghosh posted the dancer's statement — signed "Complainant (regarding Governor Bose January 2023 Delhi Taj Hotel matter)" — on Tuesday. He also said he personally knew the complainant. "She had approached me to disseminate the correct information because there were some incorrect reports, quoting an unnamed MHA official, to the effect that she was withdrawing her case," he told the press, adding, "The letter makes it clear that she is still the complainant, but because of some pressing legal issues involving the US and Indian govt, she is unable to pursue the case at this moment."


The complainant had earlier told the cops that she had approached Bose to help her, as she had been facing problems travelling and performing abroad. Bose, according to her, had asked her to approach the ministry of external affairs, promising help. She was then sent flight tickets and was booked to stay in a Delhi hotel on Jan 5 and Jan 6, 2023, she had told cops. The governor was staying at Delhi's Banga Bhavan at that time and came to meet her at the hotel, when she was abused, she had told the cops.

Tired of too many ads?go ad free now

In another case, a former member of the Raj Bhavan staff who had accused the governor of molesting her twice has moved Supreme Court, questioning how the constitutional immunity of a governor could insulate him from any criminal case despite her fundamental right to get a free and fair probe. The three Raj Bhavan staff members implicated in her complaint for criminal conspiracy are now on anticipatory bail and have moved Calcutta High Court, pleading for the case against them to be quashed. The case is sub judice.


Start a Conversation

Post comment
Continue Reading
Follow Us On Social Media
end of article
More Trending Stories
Visual Stories
More Visual Stories
Expand
UP NEXT
Do Not Sell Or Share My Personal Information