Continue Reading on TOI App
Open
OPEN APP

HC dismisses BJP’s appeal against nixing of rally nod

Calcutta High Court on Thursday dismissed a petition filed by Sa... Read More
KOLKATA: Calcutta High Court on Thursday dismissed a petition filed by Sanjib Sarkar, a BJP leader from Malda’s Habibpur, challenging the state police’s withdrawal of permission for a rally.

Bengal BJP had sought a nod for a May 27 rally at Habibpur, clearance for which was granted by cops on May 17. Bengal BJP claimed to have got permission from the block development officer too. Later, police withdrew the approval, citing another rally on the same day.

“The Calcutta High Court had earlier this month, in an order, said that 15 days’ notice has to be given by an applicant for holding a rally. The stipulated guideline was not maintained. Moreover, the landowner has claimed that there is no NOC issued by him for the rally site. The court considered these arguments and dismissed the petition,” said public prosecutor Shantanu Mitra.

Also on Thursday, state leader of opposition Suvendu Adhikari filed a PIL in the HC against Trinamool for allegedly obstructing the national highway during its Jono Sanjog Yatra.

Start a Conversation

Post comment
Continue Reading
Follow Us On Social Media
end of article
More Trending Stories
Visual Stories
More Visual Stories
UP NEXT
Do Not Sell Or Share My Personal Information