This story is from July 23, 2024
Reach out to ‘missing’ UG students to fill admission gap: Govt to colleges
KOLKATA: The state higher education department has asked colleges to contact students, who have been allotted undergraduate seats through the centralised portal but have not yet paid the fees or taken admission. The department has shared the list of applicants with the institutes so that the authorities can get in touch with them, clear their confusion about seat selections if any, help them rectify any mistake in the application forms, promote their campuses and convince them to participate in the upgrade round from Wednesday so that they can take admission in courses and colleges of their choice.
The state higher education department conducted a virtual meeting with nodal officers of colleges on Monday to guide them about how to help out candidates before starting the upgrade round.
Of the 4.2 lakh seats that were allotted to candidates through the centralised admission portal, 3.6 lakh students have taken admission. At the end of the first round of the admission, around 60,000 seats were found vacant though those were allotted to candidates based on their first preference. Moreover, 1 lakh-odd candidates have been put on wait list as some had mistakenly marked their preferred courses and institutes as second or third choices, some had made errors in application processes and some could not be allotted their preferred courses in colleges of choice. So far, of the 4.2 lakh seats, 1.6 lakh were vacant, said an official.
The upgrade round will start on Wednesday and will continue till Sunday (July 28).
At the meeting, state officials asked colleges to promote their institutes before the upgrade round started. The admission nodal officer of a college said, “The education department officials told us to reach out to listed candidates and convince them to take admission. We have been asked to make calls to the candidates within this two-day gap before the upgrade process starts.” The nodal officer of another college said, “We were asked to reach out to candidates who marked our institute as a second or third choice. We are supposed to promote our campus and courses so that the candidates can get a clear knowledge before finalising their admission.”
A higher education department officer said, “We expect around 25,000 students to opt for upgrade, but we want to reach out to as many applicants as possible and so, we need support from college authorities, too. We will share the list of candidates with the colleges.”
Stay updated with the latest news on Times of India. Don't miss daily games like Crossword, Sudoku, and Mini Crossword.
Of the 4.2 lakh seats that were allotted to candidates through the centralised admission portal, 3.6 lakh students have taken admission. At the end of the first round of the admission, around 60,000 seats were found vacant though those were allotted to candidates based on their first preference. Moreover, 1 lakh-odd candidates have been put on wait list as some had mistakenly marked their preferred courses and institutes as second or third choices, some had made errors in application processes and some could not be allotted their preferred courses in colleges of choice. So far, of the 4.2 lakh seats, 1.6 lakh were vacant, said an official.
The upgrade round will start on Wednesday and will continue till Sunday (July 28).
A higher education department officer said, “We expect around 25,000 students to opt for upgrade, but we want to reach out to as many applicants as possible and so, we need support from college authorities, too. We will share the list of candidates with the colleges.”
Stay updated with the latest news on Times of India. Don't miss daily games like Crossword, Sudoku, and Mini Crossword.
Popular from City
- 25% of India under forest & tree cover: Government report
- Jaipur gas tanker explosion: Man in flames walked 600m seeking help, but people just recorded videos
- Rajasthan tanker explosion: NHAI defends U-turn, passes buck to panel
- Karnataka: 6 of family dead in horrific car accident
- 'The tiebreaker between Sushmita and Aishwarya was the question I asked: What do you know about the textile history of India?' says Ritu Kumar
end of article
Trending Stories
- American Airlines flight flooded 30,000 feet above ground: 'Imagine drowning in air'
- “Don't draft him”: Buffaloes head coach Deion Sanders has issued a strong message to NFL teams regarding Travis Hunter
- Luigi Mangione's motive revealed: Plan made in August as 'UnitedHealthcare checks every box'
- White House in crisis? Biden and Harris 'cancel Christmas trips and rush back' amid speculations of emergency
- ‘Queen of Buffalo’ Hailee Steinfeld shares her ultimate plan for 2024, fans excited for her Christmas debut with fiancé Josh Allen
- US sheriff sends drone to follow mysterious objects in New Jersey sky: Here's what happened next
- La La Anthony shows support for Ime Udoka’s ex, Nia Long, as she shoots for Kim Kardashian’s $4 billion brand
UP NEXT
Start a Conversation
Post comment