Kolkata: Around 10 lakh devotees have already taken holy dip at Gangasagar since December 23. A large number of devotees have started gathering at
Sagar this year for the holy dip and prayer on
Makar Sankranti on January 14 and 15. The mela is open for the pilgrims till January 17.
The local administration expects over 40 lakh pilgrims from different parts of the country and outside to visit Sagar.
Around 10 lakh pilgrims have already visited Sagar and taken a bath which is unusual, said the local administration. From December 23 itself pilgrims started visiting Sagar and Kapil Muni Ashram. From this weekend regular footfall has gone up which will reach the peak on January 14.
BDO Sagar Sudipto Mandal said, “This time we are having a huge crowd since December 23 and many pilgrims have already taken a holy dip before January 14.” South 24 Pargana District Magistrate Sumit Gupta said, “Many pilgrims came earlier as there is a little worry about Covid infections while some were part of package tours.”
Special arrangements have been made for crowd management. Like last year, E-snan facility too will be provided. Sagar Arati will be conducted on a grand scale for three day from January 12 to 14. Governor CV Ananda Bose had gone to Gangasagar on Sunday and prayed at Kapil Muni Ashram.