Kerala high court slams chief minister’s office over using private data for messaging campaign
Kochi: Kerala high court on Tuesday came down heavily on the chief minister's office (CMO) over an alleged bulk messaging campaign said to have been carried out ahead of the upcoming state assembly elections by accessing private data, observing that the allegations are very serious.The court orally observed that, prima facie, there appeared to be an intrusion into privacy. It stated that unless the govt satisfies the court that there has been no intrusion, no data leakage and no violation of the rights of individuals, it must withhold any further circulation of such messages. The bench of Justice Bechu Kurian Thomas made these observations while considering a petition filed by Malappuram KTM College associate professor P Rasheed Ahamed and another petitioner, challenging the bulk messaging campaign. The petitioners alleged that the CMO illegally accessed the mobile numbers of citizens, particularly govt employees, which had been collected for various official purposes.
In view of the strong criticism from the bench, the special govt pleader, appearing on behalf of the state govt, undertook that no further dissemination of messages claiming the achievements of the LDF-led govt would be made to citizens through mobile numbers or email IDs. Recording the submission, the bench sought an explanation from the state govt on the source of the personal data of citizens used for the bulk messaging campaign by next Friday. The court accordingly adjourned the petition to Feb 27."How did the chief minister get this data? Who sent this data? What protection exists for individual data if it is accessible to everyone? If it is not the chief minister, then it is somebody else — somebody else has access to it," the court orally said during the hearing. The bench also urged the state govt to satisfy the court that the private data of citizens had been accessed through a proper channel to which the govt has lawful access. Meanwhile, the petitioners pointed out that the messages were sent from a business account maintained by the CMO. The court, therefore, asked the govt what was meant by this ‘business account' and who managed it. The court reiterated that it would be a serious matter if the govt had indeed carried out such actions. It also sought a report on how many messages had been sent from the CMO to individuals.The petitioners alleged that the govt had accessed the details of govt employees from the Service and Payroll Administrative Repository for Kerala (SPARK) software, which is used for the disbursement of salaries. They further alleged that messages had also been sent to judges as their particulars are likewise recorded in the software for salary disbursement. Noting the allegation, the court observed that the matter concerns a possible data leak, which is alarming, especially with respect to the categories of persons referred to in the petition.
In view of the strong criticism from the bench, the special govt pleader, appearing on behalf of the state govt, undertook that no further dissemination of messages claiming the achievements of the LDF-led govt would be made to citizens through mobile numbers or email IDs. Recording the submission, the bench sought an explanation from the state govt on the source of the personal data of citizens used for the bulk messaging campaign by next Friday. The court accordingly adjourned the petition to Feb 27."How did the chief minister get this data? Who sent this data? What protection exists for individual data if it is accessible to everyone? If it is not the chief minister, then it is somebody else — somebody else has access to it," the court orally said during the hearing. The bench also urged the state govt to satisfy the court that the private data of citizens had been accessed through a proper channel to which the govt has lawful access. Meanwhile, the petitioners pointed out that the messages were sent from a business account maintained by the CMO. The court, therefore, asked the govt what was meant by this ‘business account' and who managed it. The court reiterated that it would be a serious matter if the govt had indeed carried out such actions. It also sought a report on how many messages had been sent from the CMO to individuals.The petitioners alleged that the govt had accessed the details of govt employees from the Service and Payroll Administrative Repository for Kerala (SPARK) software, which is used for the disbursement of salaries. They further alleged that messages had also been sent to judges as their particulars are likewise recorded in the software for salary disbursement. Noting the allegation, the court observed that the matter concerns a possible data leak, which is alarming, especially with respect to the categories of persons referred to in the petition.
Popular from City
- Liquor shop job, NEET pressure, then bloodshed: Why Lucknow teen shot bizman father; dark secrets spill out
- Chilling murder captured on CCTV: Noida youth ambushed, shot dead at his doorstep over old enmity
- 'Mayday, Mayday, Mayday': SpiceJet Boeing 737 with 150 on board makes emergency landing at Delhi airport following ‘engine failure’ after takeoff
- 'Requested deviation due to weather': Ranchi-Delhi air ambulance lost contact with ATC 20 minutes after takeoff; 2nd crash within a month
- 'Pressure to crack NEET’: Lucknow man shoots father dead in front of sister; chops up body and stuffs it into blue drum
end of article
Trending Stories
- The Bride Of Charlie: Candace Owens sparks rift with Erika Kirk exposé; only Matt Walsh speaks out
- UPSC extends CSE 2026 deadline after portal issues; applications now open till February 27, 2026
- India qualification scenario: How can Team India reach T20 World Cup 2026 semi-final after West Indies win?
- Son Heung-min’s 2018 World Cup setback continues to shape his leadership as he begins a new MLS chapter
- T20 WC: England beat Pakistan, enter semis
- IDFC First Bank case: Haryana CM Saini shares important update on Rs 590 crore fraud; says nearly Rs 556 crore recovered
- Chilling murder captured on CCTV: Noida youth ambushed, shot dead at his doorstep over old enmity
Featured in city
- Chilling murder captured on CCTV: Noida youth ambushed, shot dead at his doorstep over old enmity
- 45-year-old man jumps to death at Delhi Metro station
- Liquor shop job, NEET pressure, then bloodshed: Why Lucknow teen shot bizman father; dark secrets spill out
- Ghost faculty row: Anna University moves Madras high court challenging chancellor’s order revoking VC suspension
- Head missing, limbs chopped, kerosene to burn remains: Blue drum horror returns to UP as Lucknow teen murders father
- Massive fire breaks out at Bhubaneswar’s four-storey market, rages over 12 hours
Photostories
- Top 5 cities in South India for real estate investment in 2026
- What is Lab-grown gold: How is it made and why it matters
- Sadya to Malabar Biryani: 12 iconic dishes of Kerala/Keralam every foodie should try
- Sridevi death anniversary: ‘ChaalBaaz’, ‘Chandni’, ‘English Vinglish’, revisiting some of her most unforgettable films
- 10 tallest statues in the world travellers need to add to their travel wish-list
- Kerala to Keralam: Union Cabinet clears name change; 5 other places that were renamed
- 10 traditional desi stuffed vegetables enjoyed as side dish and taste like magic
- Tesla Model Y review in images: Design, interior, range and drive impressions
- Sridevi death anniversary: Memorable family moments of the late legendary actress
- Revamped Bengaluru's KR Market parking expected to boost footfall and reduce congestion
Videos
10:03 'India to Be 3rd Largest Economy’: Yogi Woos Investors at Singapore Roadshow26:45 Shirtless Protest: Youth Congress Chief Arrested; Family’s Medical Emergency Ends In Air Tragedy01:37 Canada To Address Transnational Repression, Nijjar Case Besides Trade In India Visit: Anita Anand01:20 Narendra Modi to Visit Israel, Jerusalem Prepares for High-Level Visit08:25 India’s Air Power on Full Display as IAF Conducts Spectacular Vayushakti Drill in Pokharan08:51 Indian Students In Iran Seek Govt Help As March Exams Prevent Return Amid Unrest21:55 From Epstein Files to Trade Deal, Rahul Gandhi Launches All-Out Attack on PM Modi07:05 Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Loses Cool In Bihar Assembly After Guns And Bullets Jibe By RJD MLAs04:17 Israel’s Secret “Golden Horizon” Missile May Be Headed To India’s Su-30 Fleet
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment