This story is from December 8, 2011

Kerala denies reports on Tamil women hostages

Kerala police on Wednesday denied media reports that 500 Tamil women estate workers were held hostage in Idukki district in the wake of the Mullaperiyar row.
Kerala denies reports on Tamil women hostages
KOCHI: Kerala police on Wednesday denied media reports that 500 Tamil women estate workers were held hostage in Idukki district in the wake of the Mullaperiyar row.
“No Tamil worker was held hostage in any of the estates in Idukki as reported by a section of the media. The report has actually twisted facts and created unnecessary tension between Tamil Nadu and Kerala,” said Idukki district collector E Devadasan.
1x1 polls

Recalling Monday night’s events, the collector said jeeps from Kerala ferrying Tamil women workers had got stuck in a traffic block at the border following a dharna organized by the political parties of both the states near the checkpost. A police team led by Kattapana circle inspector Jijimon reached the spot and cleared the traffic. All the passengers were safe and no untoward incident occurred.
Idukki superintendent of police George Varghese said, “On Monday, there was some confusion when the jeeps returned with workers to the border following the dharna. A police team helped the stranded workers cross the border.”
Theni collector Palanisamy said, “We received a communication that vehicles carrying women workers had been caught in a traffic block. Immediately Dindigul superintendent of police was alerted and he coordinated with the Kerala police to bring those workers safely to Tamil Nadu.”
End of Article
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA