Continue Reading on TOI App
Open
OPEN APP

Ex-serviceman files online plea to save Army School building

A retired Army officer has filed an online petition to save old h... Read More
MHOW: A retired Army officer has filed an online

petition

to save old heritage building of

Mhow Army School

from demolition. About 50 people have supported the petition.

Col (retired)

Preet Kamal Singh Bedi

appealed, "The Defence Minister of India: Save a beautifully maintained old military heritage building from being demolished in Mhow" on Wednesday evening.

Col Bedi told TOI that he came to know that the building will be demolished so he decided to run an

online

movement against it.

An academician

Jaswant Singh Bisht

said Mhow Cantonment Board (MCB) is celebrating 200th anniversary of its establishment, but, strangely it wants to demolish a heritage building.

Army School is one of the buildings, which were constructed when British set up a military cantonment in Mhow. A map of 1821 when the Mhow Fort came up suggests that this building existed that time. After execution of Mandsaur treaty between the Holkars and the British in 1818, the British started constructing buildings and structures for Army.

Bisht said that it was first the artillery hospital of 1820s. In the post-independence days, it became the All Arms Wing of present day MCTE. In the 1990s, the Army Training Command (ARTRAC) was raised in Mhow and this building was the headquarters of the ARTRAC for a few years before it was shifted to

Shimla

in 1994. Since then it became Army Public School.

Continue Reading
Follow Us On Social Media
end of article
More Trending Stories
Visual Stories
More Visual Stories
UP NEXT
Do Not Sell Or Share My Personal Information