Indore: Families of persons who lost their lives due to diarrhoea and vomiting following supply of contaminated water in Indore's Bhagirathpura area, on Saturday left for Prayagraj to carry out the ‘asthi visarjan' (immersion of ashes) of the departed ones. The families left Indore on Saturday morning from Mamaji ki Dharamshala amid chanting of Vedic hymns.
According to Congress Seva Dal city president Mukesh Yadav, the party has borne the cost of travel and rituals. Scholars from Varanasi have been arranged to perform the rituals as per Sanatan traditions. "The ceremony in Prayagraj will see the presence of Uttar Pradesh Congress president Ajay Rai and local parliamentary representatives," Yadav said.
MPCC chief Jitu Patwari said that the tragedy occurred within the constituency of state minister Kailash Vijayvargiya and blamed Indore Municipal Corporation (IMC) for criminal negligence in supplying contaminated water, which led to a diarrhoea outbreak.
Slamming the state govt for offering only Rs 2 lakh per family, Patwari said, "When an IMC employee passes away, the corporation provides over Rs 30 lakh in compensation.
Why are the residents of Bhagirathpura being discriminated against with such a meagre amount?" he asked.
Accompanied by city Congress president Chintu Choukse and Seva Dal state president Avnish Bhargav, Congress activists held a protest march through streets of Bhagirathpura as a reminder of the human cost of infrastructure failure.
While some families had previously immersed ashes in the Narmada, 22 families chose this organised pilgrimage to find closure.