HYDERABAD: Asserting that the state government is committed to keeping the two city reservoirs - Himayat Sagar and Osman Sagar - pollution-free even after the lifting of GO 111, Telangana municipal administration minister KT Rama Rao said the state government will take a decision on the illegal constructions that have already come up in the catchment areas. The state government lifted GO 111, which restricted construction in the catchment areas of the two reservoirs.
Replying to questions in the Legislative Council on Sunday, the minister said the state government had already brought GO 69 in place of GO 111 to allow economic activities in the 84 villages falling under the catchment areas of the two reservoirs. This was the assurance given to the people of the 84 villages during the Assembly elections earlier, he said.
"We have informed the Telangana High Court, which is hearing the case, that the government will continue to take steps to protect the two reservoirs from pollution. A committee headed by the chief secretary has met several times to discuss the issue," the minister said.
On regularisation of illegal constructions under the Building Regularisation Scheme, KTR said a public interest litigation (PIL) has been filed on the scheme and an order from the court is likely in the next few weeks. Besides, he said, the state government has issued regularisation orders for constructions on government land under GO 58 and 59.
"The district collectors are processing the applications received under GO 58 and 59 in 2022 and over one lakh applications have been disposed of under the earlier schemes," the municipal minister said.
MLCs Bhanu Prasad, K Kavitha, D Rajeshwara Rao, Palla Rajeshwar Reddy and others raised questions on regularisation, metro rail and other issues.
Stay updated with the latest news on Times of India. Don't miss daily games like Crossword, Sudoku, Location Guesser and Mini Crossword.