Civic body’s hesitation to declare ‘Belagavi integral part of karnataka’ sparks row
Belagavi: The Belagavi City Corporation (BCC) avoided taking a clear stand on a one-line resolution declaring “Belagavi is an integral part of Karnataka,” instead referring the matter to the state govt and the urban development department, triggering sharp criticism.
The issue was raised by nominated members Ramesh Sontakki and Dinesh Nashipudi during the council meeting here on Wednesday. They reiterated a demand previously submitted by various Kannada organisations and urged the council to adopt a resolution affirming Belagavi’s position within Karnataka and to forward it to the govt, with an additional clause affirming adherence to the Supreme Court's verdict on the border dispute.
However, instead of placing the resolution for approval, mayor Preeti Kamkar ruled that the corporation would first seek clarity from the govt and the urban development department on whether such a discussion was permissible. The ruling drew immediate criticism from Kannada organisations, and put the BJP in a fix.
During the proceedings, two members, including Ravindra Salunkhe, affiliated with Maharashtra Ekikaran Samiti (MES) attempted to present arguments favouring Maharashtra. He said such an issue can’t be taken for discussion since the Karnataka-Maharashtra border dispute is in the Supreme Court, he argued.
Leader of the ruling party, Santosh Pednekar maintained that with the border dispute pending before the Supreme Court, it would be prudent to seek legal opinion. The legal adviser subsequently opined that neither a discussion nor a resolution stating “Belagavi is ours” was permissible within the council framework.
Strongly objecting, Sontakki pointed out that similar resolutions had been passed in the past, even in the legislative houses, despite the dispute being sub judice. Questioning the inconsistency, he urged the council to at least adopt a one-line resolution while recording dissent, if any.
Despite repeated appeals, the mayor relied on the legal opinion and referred the matter to the govt, intensifying the controversy. The development has revived debate over whether political silence within the council reflects caution or a calculated stance on a sensitive and emotionally charged issue.
Protest by Kannada outfits
Outside the city corporation premises, Kannada organisations staged protests demanding immediate passage of the resolution. Protesters gathered even before the meeting began and said, “We do not want discussion; we want a resolution. This is a question of self-respect.”
After the meeting concluded without a decision, protest erupted, with demonstrators questioning the corporation’s reluctance to declare, “Belagavi is ours.” The agitation continued through the day. Heavy police deployment was witnessed around the city corporation office, with restricted entry. However, the absence of a clear resolution only deepened resentment among Kannada groups, who questioned the need to seek govt approval for a position they consider unequivocal.
However, instead of placing the resolution for approval, mayor Preeti Kamkar ruled that the corporation would first seek clarity from the govt and the urban development department on whether such a discussion was permissible. The ruling drew immediate criticism from Kannada organisations, and put the BJP in a fix.
During the proceedings, two members, including Ravindra Salunkhe, affiliated with Maharashtra Ekikaran Samiti (MES) attempted to present arguments favouring Maharashtra. He said such an issue can’t be taken for discussion since the Karnataka-Maharashtra border dispute is in the Supreme Court, he argued.
Leader of the ruling party, Santosh Pednekar maintained that with the border dispute pending before the Supreme Court, it would be prudent to seek legal opinion. The legal adviser subsequently opined that neither a discussion nor a resolution stating “Belagavi is ours” was permissible within the council framework.
Strongly objecting, Sontakki pointed out that similar resolutions had been passed in the past, even in the legislative houses, despite the dispute being sub judice. Questioning the inconsistency, he urged the council to at least adopt a one-line resolution while recording dissent, if any.
Despite repeated appeals, the mayor relied on the legal opinion and referred the matter to the govt, intensifying the controversy. The development has revived debate over whether political silence within the council reflects caution or a calculated stance on a sensitive and emotionally charged issue.
Outside the city corporation premises, Kannada organisations staged protests demanding immediate passage of the resolution. Protesters gathered even before the meeting began and said, “We do not want discussion; we want a resolution. This is a question of self-respect.”
After the meeting concluded without a decision, protest erupted, with demonstrators questioning the corporation’s reluctance to declare, “Belagavi is ours.” The agitation continued through the day. Heavy police deployment was witnessed around the city corporation office, with restricted entry. However, the absence of a clear resolution only deepened resentment among Kannada groups, who questioned the need to seek govt approval for a position they consider unequivocal.
end of article
In Hubballi
- Belagavi border row: Kannada groups to intensify protest
- EO office details verification of Anjanadri gold offerings
- Pocso case lodged against Vachanananda Swami
- Kanakagiri utsav postponed at the last minute
- Civic body’s hesitation to declare ‘Belagavi integral part of karnataka’ sparks row
- New weekly train services to boost connectivity between Telangana, K’taka
- NEET paper leak: Youth Cong demand minister’s resignation
Featured In City
- City gets lion’s share in Vijay Sarkar
- Delhi faces sudden storms, flight delays
- Massive snarls near Ghazipur border due to NH-9 repair work
- Karnataka govt offers 100-day window to 1 lakh properties in Bengaluru for regularisation, slashes fee by half
- Bengaluru woman 1st Indian to complete Asia Trail Master Grandmaster Quest
- CBI opposes discharge plea in PNB fraud case
- Union Ministry of Environment, Forests & Climate Change asks Maharashtra government to examine complaints regarding Versova-Bhayander Coastal Road and take necessary action
Photostories
- Stop throwing away mango peel: 6 delicious ways to use them in your kitchen
- 5 weird things people do in love and why, as per psychology
- Why these 5 vegetable DIY remedies are harmful for your skin
- 8 Indian states where women can travel free on government buses; West Bengal becomes the latest to join the list
- 5 deadliest insects on the planet: Small creatures with a massive global impact
- The silent vitamin deficiency experts say could increase your cancer risk over time
- Common snakes found in Florida and how to keep them away from home and garden
- The hygiene myths experts are trying to break
- 5 summer morning drinks that beat hunger and keep you energized for longer
- Late nights, high stress, rising BP: Why poor sleep is becoming India’s new urban health emergency
Videos
05:02 Ex-Army Chief Naravane Backs People-To-People Ties To Improve India Pak Relations03:14 Air India Cuts 29 International Routes As West Asia War Drives Up Fuel Costs And Disruptions05:29 Vijay Reverses Astrologer Appointment; PM Modi Orders Nearly 50% Convoy | Headlines@905:51 EPS Removes Rebel Leaders Backing Vijay Government As AIADMK Internal Crisis Deepens03:53 Postmortem Reveals Massive Blood Clot In Lungs Caused Prateek Yadav’s Death | Watch03:01 Himanta Biswa Sarma Announces UCC Bill For Assam As State Moves Towards Uniform Civil Law03:43 NEET UG 2026 Cancellation Sparks Rajasthan Political Storm As BJP And Congress Clash Over Leak03:18 Posters Against Rahul Gandhi Surface As KC Venugopal Emerges Frontrunner For Kerala CM05:39 Suvendu Adhikari Chooses Bhabanipur Over Nandigram, Sparks Fresh Political Battle In Bengal
Hot Picks
Top Trends
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment