Haryana approves Rs 315 crore waste collection project for Gurgaon, to hire 2 companies
Gurgaon: Haryana govt on Saturday granted revised administrative approval for a Rs 315.2-crore door-to-door municipal solid waste (MSW) collection and transportation project in the city after months of delays and repeated tender revisions.Under the new plan, the city will be divided into two clusters, with two agencies responsible for waste collection and transportation, rather than the four originally proposed by MCG. The estimated cost of the contract, which includes an option for a four-year extension, subject to performance and approvals, has been revised from Rs 327 crore to Rs 315.23 crore for a five-year period.
Haryana chief minister Nayab Singh Saini has said that tenders be issued at the earliest, with a deadline of Feb 1, emphasising the urgency.According to the approval, the selected agencies will not charge households, institutions, or resident welfare associations (RWAs) for waste collection services.Cluster 1, covering zones 1 and 2, will cost Rs 144.6 crore, while cluster 2, covering zones 3 and 4, will cost Rs 170.6 crore. On Dec 22, 2025, MCG sought approval from the urban local bodies (ULB) department to appoint one agency for each of the city's four zones for the door-to-door collection, segregation, and transportation of municipal solid waste, based on a revised model request for proposal (RFP). The total estimated cost for the project across all four zones was initially Rs 327 crore."We have received administrative approval from the ULB department. Two agencies will now handle doorstep waste collection and transportation in the city," said MCG commissioner Pradeep Dahiya.The project comes with several compliance requirements, including mandatory waste segregation at source, GPS and RFID-enabled vehicles, QR-code-based monitoring, daily disinfection of equipment, and separate handling of biomedical, hazardous, and e-waste. Agencies will also need to submit detailed waste data every month.Additionally, MCG has been directed to remove all garbage vulnerable points within 30 days and publish daily waste collection schedules in newspapers, sharing them with RWAs, market associations, and councillors. A complaint redressal centre will also be set up under the Right to Service Act.The approval was granted following months of complaints about garbage pile-ups, irregular waste collection, and growing public frustration. This situation began in June 2024 when MCG terminated its contract with Ecogreen due to poor performance. A one-year replacement agency also failed, forcing the civic body to rely on temporary arrangements that residents have described as inconsistent and ineffective.The lengthy approval process has also raised concerns about inefficiency within the urban local bodies department. The first request for proposal (RFP) for the door-to-door waste collection project was issued on July 12, 2024. Since then, the RFP was revised five times, on May 14, June 10, Sept 25, and Dec 5, 2025, after the contract period was initially extended from five to seven years on Jan 7, 2025, before reverting to five years.MCG first sought administrative approval for the project on July 7, 2025, and received clearance on July 22. However, instead of proceeding, the department instructed MCG to hold vendor meetings and seek stakeholder feedback, further delaying the process.Without final approval, MCG was forced to issue six-month work orders worth Rs 9.6 crore to four separate firms, one for each zone, on Jan 8. These short-term contracts effectively extended the temporary fixes for what should be a long-term civic service.
Haryana chief minister Nayab Singh Saini has said that tenders be issued at the earliest, with a deadline of Feb 1, emphasising the urgency.According to the approval, the selected agencies will not charge households, institutions, or resident welfare associations (RWAs) for waste collection services.Cluster 1, covering zones 1 and 2, will cost Rs 144.6 crore, while cluster 2, covering zones 3 and 4, will cost Rs 170.6 crore. On Dec 22, 2025, MCG sought approval from the urban local bodies (ULB) department to appoint one agency for each of the city's four zones for the door-to-door collection, segregation, and transportation of municipal solid waste, based on a revised model request for proposal (RFP). The total estimated cost for the project across all four zones was initially Rs 327 crore."We have received administrative approval from the ULB department. Two agencies will now handle doorstep waste collection and transportation in the city," said MCG commissioner Pradeep Dahiya.The project comes with several compliance requirements, including mandatory waste segregation at source, GPS and RFID-enabled vehicles, QR-code-based monitoring, daily disinfection of equipment, and separate handling of biomedical, hazardous, and e-waste. Agencies will also need to submit detailed waste data every month.Additionally, MCG has been directed to remove all garbage vulnerable points within 30 days and publish daily waste collection schedules in newspapers, sharing them with RWAs, market associations, and councillors. A complaint redressal centre will also be set up under the Right to Service Act.The approval was granted following months of complaints about garbage pile-ups, irregular waste collection, and growing public frustration. This situation began in June 2024 when MCG terminated its contract with Ecogreen due to poor performance. A one-year replacement agency also failed, forcing the civic body to rely on temporary arrangements that residents have described as inconsistent and ineffective.The lengthy approval process has also raised concerns about inefficiency within the urban local bodies department. The first request for proposal (RFP) for the door-to-door waste collection project was issued on July 12, 2024. Since then, the RFP was revised five times, on May 14, June 10, Sept 25, and Dec 5, 2025, after the contract period was initially extended from five to seven years on Jan 7, 2025, before reverting to five years.MCG first sought administrative approval for the project on July 7, 2025, and received clearance on July 22. However, instead of proceeding, the department instructed MCG to hold vendor meetings and seek stakeholder feedback, further delaying the process.Without final approval, MCG was forced to issue six-month work orders worth Rs 9.6 crore to four separate firms, one for each zone, on Jan 8. These short-term contracts effectively extended the temporary fixes for what should be a long-term civic service.
Popular from City
- Parth skips Sunetra Pawar's swearing-in, meets Sharad Pawar; eyes mom's Rajya Sabha seat
- 'We will beat up anyone who tries': Right-wing group vows to block rebuilding of Bulleh Shah shrine
- Who was Confident Group chairman CJ Roy? Bengaluru born entrepreneur, philanthropist and luxury car aficionado
- How Confident Group chairman CJ Roy’s final hours unfolded at his Bengaluru office amid Income Tax searches
- H-1B troubles stall not only wedding guests but also carers of ailing parents
end of article
Trending Stories
- Budget 2026 Live Updates: FM Nirmala Sitharaman’s Budget speech today; reforms, capex push in focus amid global headwinds
- Union Budget Speech 2026 Live: What time is Nirmala Sitharaman’s speech today?
- Head coach Todd McLellan calls out Detroit Red Wings after winless homestand ends in 5-0 shutout loss to Colorado Avalanche
- NHL Trade Update: Washington Capitals aggressively pursuing to acquire Rangers star Artemi Panarin with an extension
- NHL selects Boston Bruins forward Fraser Minten as Rookie of the Month for January after Jeremy Swayman
08:10 Budget 2026: What is the Section 87A rebate limit under new income tax regime for FY 2026-27?06:32 Union Budget 2026: Defence budget jumps to Rs 7.85 lakh crore, Rs 2.19 lakh crore earmarked for modernisation - key points
Featured in city
- Union Budget 2026: 7 high-speed rail corridors announced, including Mumbai-Pune, Hyderabad-Bengaluru; check full list
- Union Budget 2026: Mountain trains to Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Jammu & Kashmir; what we know
05:14 'It's a Humpty-Dumpty budget': Ahead assembly polls, CM Mamata Banerjee slams Union Budget 2026–27- Navi Mumbai airport goes 24/7: Inside the quiet shift to round-the-clock ops
- Lawrence Bishnoi gang claims responsibility for firing outside Rohit Shetty’s Juhu home; ‘next bullets will hit his chest’
- A hole Delhi can’t fill: How uncovered drain in Ghazipur killed a young mother and toddler — and official apathy still rules the spot
Photostories
- 12 Indian dishes among the 100 Best Rated Coconut Dishes in the World
- Union Budget 2026: What is Coconut Promotion Scheme, how will it impact us, and easy ways to add coconut to daily meals
- Top 5 cities in India for real estate investment in 2026
- 'Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai', 'Pavitra Rishta' and more: Most popular love stories of TV shows
- 6 tips to bake a perfect cake in an air fryer
- Union Budget 2026: Complete list of commodities that will get cheaper and costlier in the food and beverage industry
- Union Budget 2026: 6 nuts that got attention of the government and why
- Rohit Shetty, Salman Khan, Rakesh Roshan: Bollywood celebs who faced gunshot incidents
- No one Killed Jessica', 'Mrs. Chatterjee vs Norway', 'Veer-Zaara': 5 fearless roles that prove Rani Mukerji is Bollywood’s ultimate Mardani!
- Union Budget 2026: From coconut to chocolate, things which have got attention in this year's budget and why
Videos
03:27 Pakistan Boycott Will Hurt Its Own Cricket, Says Former Cricketer Madan Lal12:38 Former NITI Aayog CEO Hails Budget 2026 Amid Global Economic Uncertainty06:21 "Reform Express Moving At Speed Under PM Modi" Piyush Goyal On Budget 202601:26:36 Union Budget 2026 Bets Big On Rare Earths, Chips & Orange Economy: Nirmala Sitharaman's Full Speech09:16 Budget 2026: “Post Op Sindoor, Expected More...” FICCI President Anant Goenka Flags Defence Gaps03:29 Budget 2026 Overview: What Citizens And Businesses Should Know17:34 Budget 2026 Sets Long-Term Direction For India’s Economic Growth: Kidwai10:07 Growth Momentum Will Continue Says FM Sitharaman As Budget 2026 Bets On Tech Cities And Reforms07:06 “All Talk, No Solutions” Oppn Slams Centre Over Economy, Jobs
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment