NEW DELHI: Film maker and television critic Vipin Handa claimed that his sister''s son-in-law, Sanjay Malhotra, has not come clean with the facts.
According to Handa, Malhotra filed the complaint to avenge the dowry harassment case in which the latter was jailed for few days in Delhi.
"The harassment case was filed against him by my niece who left him in 2001.
Malhotra had subjected her to torture and also beat her up," said Handa.
A week ago the special investigating team of Crime Branch arrested Handa for criminal intimidation and wrongful confinement. Handa was immediately released on bail after he furnished a bail bond of Rs 10,000 to the police.
Deputy commissioner of police (crime branch) Dependra Pathak said: "Although the court directed us to initiate action against him last year, we have done so only after proper investigation."
Contesting Malhotra''s claim, Handa said his brother-in-law moved the court in November 2002, while the date of alleged incident is of September 10, 2001. Handa denied that he ever beat up Malhotra.
Instead, he said, Malhotra attempted to kidnap his own two-year-old baby who was living with Handa''s niece in South Extension.
"Malhotra had gone to my niece''s house and entered into an argument with her. He attempted to kidnap the child when my niece refused to hand-over the baby to him," said Handa.
According to Handa, his niece left Malhotra and came to Delhi from Lucknow.
While Handa claims the local police took immediate action after Malhotra tried to create trouble for them on September 10, 2001, Malhotra has claimed that the film maker influenced the police to get him arrested under a preventive section.
Handa is planning to contest Malhotra''s case in the court.