Delhi Police files supplementary reply in Turkman Gate case, court flags gaps
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Tuesday filed a supplementary reply before a court in the Turkman Gate case. It alleged that eight accused were part of an "unlawful assembly" and they "indiscriminately pelted stones" at police personnel during the anti-encroachment drive held in early Jan. The alleged violence resulted in injuries to five police personnel and one civilian.However, the court expressed dissatisfaction over the absence of accused-specific allegations in the reply and cautioned the investigating officer to remain "mindful" of inconsistencies between oral submissions and the written record.
Additional sessions judge Bhupinder Singh, while hearing bail pleas of three accused—Mohd Areeb, Naved and Athar—questioned the prosecution's "conviction" in identifying the accused from the footage, particularly in the admitted absence of completed facial recognition analysis, before reserving the bail order for Feb 6.Opposing bail for all the eight accused, additional public prosecutor (APP) Atul Shrivastava submitted that they were present at the scene and acted with a "common intention" to obstruct the Municipal Corporation of Delhi's demolition drive initiated pursuant to High Court directions. The APP further contended that if released on bail, the accused could influence the ongoing investigation.The defence, however, sought bail primarily on the ground of parity, relying on the earlier bail granted to co-accused Mohd Ubedullah by a separate sessions court on Jan 24. The prosecution, however, countered that the said bail had been granted on the count of accused's father's illness and the absence of other male caretakers—which didn't apply to the present accused.With respect to Areeb, the prosecution alleged that he circulated videos of the demolition to "instigate" others through a WhatsApp group named "Chatter Box." While the defence argued that Areeb merely forwarded messages, the APP played a video allegedly shared by him, in which a voice is heard saying, "Aa jao mere bhai, yeh log aa gaye hai todne phodne ke liye."The prosecution claimed the video was also sent to other WhatsApp groups, including a 191-member ‘Islamic Group', and deleted after the accused's apprehension. The defence, however, maintained that Areeb's presence in the area was natural owing to his workplace being nearby.Athar and Naved sought bail on the ground of natural proximity, citing their residence near the site, and argued that their faces were not clearly visible in the video footage—an observation the court agreed with. The prosecution claimed Athar was identified through a constable's statement and the "jacket he was wearing," prompting the defence to question identification based solely on clothing. In Naved's case, the investigating officer asserted he was "apparently visible" at the 16-second mark of the footage, a claim the court viewed with caution, in light of the pending facial recognition analysis.
Additional sessions judge Bhupinder Singh, while hearing bail pleas of three accused—Mohd Areeb, Naved and Athar—questioned the prosecution's "conviction" in identifying the accused from the footage, particularly in the admitted absence of completed facial recognition analysis, before reserving the bail order for Feb 6.Opposing bail for all the eight accused, additional public prosecutor (APP) Atul Shrivastava submitted that they were present at the scene and acted with a "common intention" to obstruct the Municipal Corporation of Delhi's demolition drive initiated pursuant to High Court directions. The APP further contended that if released on bail, the accused could influence the ongoing investigation.The defence, however, sought bail primarily on the ground of parity, relying on the earlier bail granted to co-accused Mohd Ubedullah by a separate sessions court on Jan 24. The prosecution, however, countered that the said bail had been granted on the count of accused's father's illness and the absence of other male caretakers—which didn't apply to the present accused.With respect to Areeb, the prosecution alleged that he circulated videos of the demolition to "instigate" others through a WhatsApp group named "Chatter Box." While the defence argued that Areeb merely forwarded messages, the APP played a video allegedly shared by him, in which a voice is heard saying, "Aa jao mere bhai, yeh log aa gaye hai todne phodne ke liye."The prosecution claimed the video was also sent to other WhatsApp groups, including a 191-member ‘Islamic Group', and deleted after the accused's apprehension. The defence, however, maintained that Areeb's presence in the area was natural owing to his workplace being nearby.Athar and Naved sought bail on the ground of natural proximity, citing their residence near the site, and argued that their faces were not clearly visible in the video footage—an observation the court agreed with. The prosecution claimed Athar was identified through a constable's statement and the "jacket he was wearing," prompting the defence to question identification based solely on clothing. In Naved's case, the investigating officer asserted he was "apparently visible" at the 16-second mark of the footage, a claim the court viewed with caution, in light of the pending facial recognition analysis.
You Can Also Check: Delhi AQI
|
Bank Holidays in Delhi |
Gold Rate Today in Delhi |
Silver Rate Today in Delhi
Popular from City
- Ghaziabad sisters’ suicide: ‘Death would be better than beatings,’ daughters wrote in diary; father deep in debt, sold their phones
- Woman puts husband to death 3 months after marriage, masks it as 'hit and run'; arrested with lover and 2 others
- Gujarat man arrested in US for human trafficking, sexual crimes
- A single spark could cause a fireball: 32-hour op that averted propylene gas disaster on Pune–Mumbai Expressway
- 16-year-old, two younger half-sisters jump to death in Ghaziabad; diary reveals rift with father over obsession: ‘Korea was our life’
end of article
Trending Stories
- WPL Final, RCB vs DC: Chinelle Henry removes Grace Harris as RCB in trouble chasing 204
- Raheem Sterling and Paige Milian combined net worth: Inside the $60 million empire of the football star and property mogul
- SSC Phase 13 Result 2025 declared at ssc.gov.in: 14,768 candidates move to the scrutiny stage; check cut-off and direct link here
- CM Punk teaches Kay Adams to apply anaconda vice on Patriots legend Rob Gronkowski
- SPPU BE Winter Session result 2026 released at unipune.ac.in: Direct link to download here
- Winter Olympics 2026 Ice hockey schedule: Hockey takes center stage at Milano Cortina 2026 as NHL stars return
- India vs Pakistan boycott: Suryakumar Yadav says team has plans to fly to Colombo
Featured in city
- 32 hours, 30,000+ trucks, ambulances frozen, families sleeping in cars: Mega Pune-Mumbai Expressway jam explained
- South Mumbai horror: Mentally-ill girl impregnated after repeated rape, 16 rounded up for DNA test; culprit turns out to be her father
- Karnataka man assaulted, forced to record ‘love confession’ for accompanying Muslim woman, her kids to bus stop; 4 arrested
- Birthday balloons explode inside lift in Mumbai’s Goregaon: 21-year-old student, delivery man injured; CCTV captures chilling moment
- 'Denied entry': Drunk Bengaluru techie strips naked outside Bangalore Club, blocks car, fights cops
08:24 Ghaziabad sisters’ final apology before death: Called each other by Korean names, left a ‘True Life Story’ note
Photostories
- Craziest things people have stolen from popular tourist locations
- 5 high-performance cars that blend beauty with engineering power
- Priyanka Chopra to Katrina Kaif: 5 iconic bridal jewellery pieces that made it to wedding trousseau of Bollywood's top divas
- 8 quick vegetarian air fryer dishes you can make in under 10 minutes
- From a lavish house in Dubai to net worth: Tejasswi Prakash and Karan Kundrra’s luxurious lifestyle
- 5 countries where tourist travel is extremely restricted
- Zeenat Aman, Rekha, Waheeda Rehman, Madhubala: Rare, unseen moments of Bollywood’s most iconic leading ladies
- Ananya Panday, Sara Ali Khan, Mouni Roy and Raveena Tandon: Celebrities who proudly display their Shiv bhakti side
- Abhishek Bachchan birthday special: Must-watch films on OTT including ‘Guru’, ‘Dasvi’, ‘Manmarziyaan’, ‘Ludo’ and ‘Ghoomer’
- Kangana Ranaut is owning Parliament style again: 5 saree looks that made everyone stop scrolling
Videos
03:27 'Is This Mohabbat Ki Dukaan?': PM Modi Hits Out At Opposition Over 'Modi Teri Kabr Khudegi' Slogans08:57 'Trump Wanted Unilateral Deal With India': Former Envoy Unpacks India-US Trade Deal Announcement03:45 Rahul Gandhi Called Ravneet Bittu 'Traitor' Because He Is Sikh: PM Modi's Big Attack07:53 'Sit And Protest': PM Modi Unfazed By Slogans, Takes Dig At Kharge As Opposition Walks Out Of RS06:09 'PM Hiding Behind Speaker': Priyanka Gandhi Slams Om Birla's Remark On Modi's Lok Sabha Speech Skip04:24 World Praises India-US Trade Deal: PM Modi Tells Rajya Sabha Youth Will Gain Global Opportunities05:21 'Women MPs Near PM's Chair': Speaker Om Birla Reveals Why PM Modi Skipped Lok Sabha Speech03:10 'India Open To Explore Commercial Merits Of Venezuela Oil Import': MEA On Trump's Russian Oil Claim13:51 India Shifts Trade Focus To Gulf Bloc After US And EU Deals, Piyush Goyal Announces Fresh FTA Push
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment