NEW DELHI: At least two people died after a four-storey building collapsed in Delhi's Burari area on Monday, according to Delhi Police.
The Delhi Police stated they received a call about the incident at 6.58pm. The building, located on a 200-square-yard plot near Oscar Public School, collapsed, prompting a swift response from emergency services.
"The rescue operation is still ongoing, and we believe some people are still trapped. Police, fire, DDMA, and NDRF personnel are at the site. So far, 12 persons have been rescued and taken to the nearest hospital," the police said in a statement.
Delhi Fire Services (DFS) chief Atul Garg reported that nine fire tenders were deployed to aid the rescue operation. "Our team rescued three girls and a man, who were all taken to a nearby hospital," Garg said.
The area has been cordoned off by the police to prevent further accidents as rescue efforts continue.
Delhi chief minister Atishi expressed her condolences on X, stating, "This incident of building collapse in Burari is extremely sad. I have spoken to the local administration to ensure speedy relief and rescue operations. All possible help will be provided to the affected people."
Former Delhi chief minister and AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal also commented, saying, "This incident is very sad. Our MLA from Burari, Sanjeev Jha, has been instructed to immediately go there with party workers and help the administration in relief and rescue work. Also, help the local people in every possible way."
Rescue operations are ongoing as officials work tirelessly to save those still trapped.
Check out the latest news about Delhi Elections 2025, including key constituencies such as New Delhi, Kalkaji, Jangpura, Patparganj, Rohini, Chandni Chowk, Rajinder Nagar, Greater Kailash, Okhla, and Dwarka.