Continue Reading on TOI App
Open
OPEN APP

Uttarakhand: Amid talks of curtailing cap on wedding guests, venue owners say around 80% bookings cancelled

Families who had made wedding arrangements according to the previ... Read More
DEHRADUN: Families who had made

wedding

arrangements according to the previous guidelines are now in a fix with the state government considering curtailing the number of attendees to 50 from 100.Several weddings were planned in the state on April 24 because of the 'muhurat' (an auspicious time) on the date. However, owners of wedding halls in Dehradun, Rishikesh and Haridwar say that almost 80% of the bookings have now been cancelled at their venues.

Bhavishya Pandit, owner of a wedding point in Haridwar said, “Several of our bookings between April 20 and May 8 now stand cancelled as people are now booking hotels for small gatherings.”

Chandra Kant Purohit, a resident of Sahastradhara Road in Dehradun, said, “My sister's wedding is to be held on April 24. The current guidelines mandate us to reduce our guest list to 100 guests. Anticipating this

cap

to be curtailed further, I spoke to the wedding point owner to reduce the cost of the entire event.”

Apoorv Bhandari, another wedding point owner from Rishikesh, said, “We hoped that this year would be better for business but the surge in infections has once again dented chances of recovery. Destination marriages have been cancelled completely as parties from Delhi, Chandigarh have cancelled their bookings.”

Manoj Agarwal, a wedding point owner from Dehradun, added, “We have so far been able to pay salaries to our staff but we don't know how long will we able to continue this. We just hope the situation becomes better and the business sails through.”

Start a Conversation

Post comment
Continue Reading
Follow Us On Social Media
end of article
More Trending Stories
Visual Stories
More Visual Stories
UP NEXT
Do Not Sell Or Share My Personal Information