CHENNAI: The scheme to regularise unauthorised buildings has evoked a tepid response with just 140 applications having been filed so far in the Chennai Metropolitan Area. With the amnesty scheme ending on March 21, the government is contemplating giving it a second extension, which developers associations feel may not be fruitful without reducing the hefty penalty.
Officials said that about 140 applications in areas falling under the
CMDA
have been received over the last 10 months.
Ramaprabhu, honorary secretary of the Builders' Association of India's Southern Centre, Chennai, said the heavy fine is discouraging people from enrolling under the scheme. "The penalty is calculated on land value, which is approximately two third of the guideline value. It is driving people away from the scheme," he said. For instance, the guideline value in some parts of
Anna Nagar
is more than 8,000 and a person would end up paying 5,300 as the penalty. Another reason for poor response was ambiguity among people that the scheme could be quashed like the previous ones introduced during 2000, 2001 and 2002, he said .
B Kannan
, secretary of the
T Nagar Residents Welfare Association
, said the government should not give an extension any more. "Why should the government provide any extension when the violators are refusing to register under the scheme," he wondered.
A housing and urban development department official said, "A move is on for a second extension and it is likely to be for a minimum of three months."
Start a Conversation
Post comment