This story is from December 14, 2013

12 years after man's death, son gets his job

More than 12 years after his father's death, M Alagesan will now get his father's job, thanks to the positive intervention of the Madras high court.
12 years after man's death, son gets his job
CHENNAI: More than 12 years after his father's death, M Alagesan will now get his father's job, thanks to the positive intervention of the Madras high court.
Justice R Subbiah, allowing Alagesan's claim for his father's post, directed the Karur district collector and the revenue secretary of the state government to consider his claim positively and post him in a suitable post under compassionate grounds within four weeks.
1x1 polls

Alagesan's father A Manivel was a village assistant in Pappayampadi village in Karur district. He died in harness on January 20, 2001. In March 2001, his mother applied for her husband's post under compassionate grounds, saying she was the sole support for the family. Her request, however, was rejected by the revenue authorities, who said she did not possess the requisite qualifications.
As Alagesan was a minor at the time of his father's death, he could not apply for the post. In July 2011, he became a major and completed his 12th in 2012. Having become a major with required minimum qualification, Alagesan now staked his claim for his father's employment. On November 14 this year, his request was rejected by the Karur district collector, on the sole ground that the application has come late and that such applications for compassionate appointments should be made within three years from the date of death of the government employee.
S P Sudalaiyandi, counsel for Alagesan, submitted that there was no delay in seeking appointment under compassionate grounds, as Alagesan's mother unsuccessfully tried to secure her husband's job. Since the present application was made as soon as Alagesan became a major, it should be construed as continuation of efforts began by her mother, he said.
Concurring with his submissions, Justice Subbiah said: "The claim for compassionate appointment had been made by Alagesan's mother within the time prescribed, and when she could not be considered due to her inadequate qualification, the claim for compassionate appointment has been followed by her son, who has applied within three years of his attaining majority. Hence it is not a belated one."
End of Article
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA