CHANDIGARH: In a tactical climbdown, Haryana’s director-general of police MS Malik on Thursday proceeded on long leave even though chief minister Om Prakash Chautala had stated on Wednesday that his government would not comply with the orders of the Election Commission to shift the DGP to a non-election related post. The state government, however, is yet to name the acting DGP.
The commission sought DGP’s transfer in view of the fact that his wife, Krishna Malik, is contesting the Lok Sabha election from the Sonepat constituency as Indian National Lok Dal candidate.
Taking a serious note of the CM’s statement, chief election commissioner TS Krishnamurthy on Wednesday said at his press conference here that ‘‘we are keen that our order is respected. We know what we want.’’
The EC had also sought a panel of names of three senior police officers to fill the post. It is felt in administrative circles here that since the DGP has proceeded on leave, any senior officer can be asked to officiate in his place during the leave period and as such there is no need to send a panel of names to the Commission.
In a written statement, DGP Malik said that during his leave he would not visit the parliamentary constituency of his wife to avoid ‘‘malicious controversy’’ sparked by vested interests.
The CM on Wednesday took the stand that there was no urgency to shift the DGP because the EC is yet to issue notification for Lok Sabha elections in Haryana, and the due date for the notification is April 16. He is of the opinion that though Krishna Malik has been declared his party’s candidate for the Sonepat seat, she will become a candidate under the law only after her nomination is accepted by the Commission.
He feels that the commission is not ready to review its decision simply because it has a ‘‘closed mind’’ on the issue.
The opposition in the state had been demanding that DGP Malik should proceed on leave so as to check the alleged misuse of government machinery in support of his wife.
Public hoardings to stay
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Thursday directed that the hoardings put up by the central and state governments highlighting their achievements need not be removed if these were in place three months before the announcement of the Lok Sabha polls.