Continue Reading on TOI App
Open
OPEN APP

OHRC orders Rs 2L compensation to victims of police-Maoists crossfire

BHUBANESWAR: The Odisha Human Rights Commission (OHRC) on Wednesday recommended the state government to pay further compensation of Rs 2 lakh each to the next of kin of three deceased, who got caught in the police-Maoists crossfire at Nisanguda in

Kalahandi district

on November 15, 2015.

The rights panel passed this order on Wednesday after hearing petitions filed by lawyer Prabir Kumar Das, human rights defender Sarfraz Nawaz and activist Prafulla Samantara. The petitioners had requested the commission to direct the state government to pay Rs 10 lakh compensation each to the next of kin of the deceased.

The probe report said that three civilians- Jaya Majhi, Harisankar Naik and Sukru Majhi- were killed during a gun battle between Maoists and security personnel. Two minor boys Arjun Majhi and Echu Majhi had sustained grievous bullet injury. Family members of the deceased have already received Rs 5.4 lakh from the state, the Centre and district

Red Cross

fund. The injured persons have received Rs 25,000 so far towards their compensation.

The commission in its order said the compensation paid to the deceased’s family and injured persons is not sufficient. It asked the state government to pay Rs 2 lakh each to the next of kin of the deceased over and above the earlier compensation. It also ordered the state to pay Rs 1 lakh to injured Arjun Majhi and Echu Majhi.

The OHRC asked the government for complying with the directions of the Commission in two months’ time. Next hearing of the case will be held on October 22.
About the Author

Hemanta Pradhan

Hemanta Pradhan writes for the Times of India on education, hospi... Read More

Start a Conversation

Post comment
Continue Reading
Follow Us On Social Media
end of article
More Trending Stories
Visual Stories
More Visual Stories
UP NEXT
Do Not Sell Or Share My Personal Information