Unclaimed box in focus after 3 injured in blast outside Sagar shop

Unclaimed box in focus after 3 injured in blast outside Sagar shop
Bhopal: A mysterious explosion allegedly triggered by an unclaimed box left outside a shop injured three members of a family — including an 11-year-old girl — at a temple complex in Madhya Pradesh's Sagar district on Tuesday night. Police said they were probing the object's origin, adding that a mobile phone, which was initially suspected to be the source of the blast, was found intact.The incident occurred at the Budhi Rangir temple complex, part of the renowned Harsiddhi Devi Dham in Rangir village, where the victims run a coconut and prasad shop just outside the temple premises.The injured were identified as Radheshyam Raikwar, 48, his wife, and their daughter Sanjana (11). The girl suffered multiple injuries, including facial trauma and fractures, and was referred to Bhopal after primary treatment. Her parents also sustained injuries but are reported to be stable.Sagar SP Vikas Shehwal said the mobile phone earlier believed to have triggered the blast was found undamaged from the spot, prompting the sleuths to focus on other possibilities.Raikwar told TOI that an unidentified box had been left outside their shop in the morning.
"We thought some devotee must have accidentally left it there. So, we waited till the evening for someone to come back for it. When no one came, I took the box inside and kept it beside me," he said."The box had a handle and a torch-like front, making it look like some kind of device. Suddenly, there was a loud explosion. Me, my wife and my daughter were injured and several items inside our shop were damaged," he added.Family members said they are unable to confirm whether the explosion was caused by the box itself or some device inside it, but maintained that the object holds the key to unravelling the mystery.Given the nature of the blast, state intelligence officials along with a bomb disposal squad reached the spot and collected samples for forensic examination.Senior officials said a detailed inquiry was underway, urging people to be restrained and not jump to conclusions till the probe runs its course. Police said all angles, including the possibility of an explosive device, were being looked into.Investigators had initially explored the possibility of a lithium-ion battery malfunction. However, with the mobile phone found intact, officials said that theory is now under review.Police said forensic reports will determine the exact cause of the explosion, even as efforts continue to identify the source of the abandoned object and reconstruct the sequence of events.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media