Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh forest department seems to be in a baffled position over initiating action against the first-ever mass trespass into the core area of Panna Tiger Reserve (PTR) by over 200 tribals agitating and demanding compensation at par with the package of the Ken-Betwa river linking project.
Insiders said PTR authorities are planning to register a case against AAP worker Amit Bhatnagar, who is leading the protest, under provisions related to trespass in a notified core area of a tiger reserve. Officials said such offences fall under section 51(1-C), which attracts stringent punishment, including imprisonment of not less than three years that may extend to seven years, along with a fine ranging from Rs 50,000 to Rs 2 lakh. In case of subsequent convictions, the punishment can extend to a minimum of seven years' imprisonment with fines between Rs 5 lakh and Rs 50 lakh.
Forest officials said repeated communications have been sent to the local administration seeking intervention, even as authorities tread cautiously given the scale and sensitivity of the agitation.
The tribals, led by Bhatnagar, have been staging protests for the past 10 days and are holding their position inside the core area of PTR throughout this period.
On Tuesday, the agitation went further, with protesters threatening a hunger strike and a ‘symbolic hanging' if their demands were not met.
The agitation, centred around Dhodan village, intensified inside the core area of PTR, where forest authorities have so far been unable to enforce prohibitory measures.
Though the protest site falls within the core region of the tiger reserve, the administrative jurisdiction lies with Chhatarpur district, adding complexity of enforcement and coordination between departments.
Protesters continued their demonstrations inside the forest, with women, children and elderly villagers entering the Ken river, smearing soil on their bodies and raising slogans.
Officials maintain a large section of agitators may have been misled about compensation entitlements. Sources in the administration said many of those participating are not directly affected by the Ken-Betwa project.
"Ninety percent of these people are from Panna district and have nothing to do with the Ken-Betwa project. They have been misled about the compensation package," Chhatarpur collector Paras Jaiswal said, adding that authorities are trying to counsel protesters while keeping medical teams on standby.
Officials said confusion over compensation structures has driven the agitation. Families directly displaced by the Ken-Betwa river linking project are eligible for a rehabilitation package of Rs 12.5 lakh per family, while those affected by separate state irrigation projects in the region are entitled to Rs 7.5 lakh.