Contractor booked for Bowring wall collapse in Bengaluru
Bengaluru: Nearly a month after the deadly wall collapse on the premises of Bowring and Lady Curzon Medical College and Research Institute claimed seven lives, police have booked the contractor entrusted with demolition and debris-clearing work after a technical probe allegedly found negligence in handling construction waste.
The incident occurred on April 29 on the hospital premises, where old structures were being cleared to make way for a new hospital block. Following the accident, Chandru, the executive engineer, health and family welfare’s engineering wing, constituted a technical committee to investigate the cause of the collapse.
According to officials, the committee found that Chennai-based ASR Traders had failed to scientifically dispose of debris generated during the demolition process. Investigators concluded that large quantities of demolished material were left dumped at the site instead of being properly removed, contributing to the collapse of the barrier and enclosure wall.
Authorities said the demolition and debris-clearing work had been assigned to ASR under a work order and agreement issued on July 1, 2017. The contractor was allegedly responsible for clearing the old buildings before construction of the proposed new hospital facility.
Based on the findings of the technical investigation, the chief secretary directed officials to initiate criminal proceedings against the contractor. Officials said a notice seeking clarification was issued to the firm through official email on May 14, asking it to respond by May 18. However, no explanation was submitted.
Subsequently, Commercial Street police registered a case under Section 106 of the (causing death by negligence).
According to officials, the committee found that Chennai-based ASR Traders had failed to scientifically dispose of debris generated during the demolition process. Investigators concluded that large quantities of demolished material were left dumped at the site instead of being properly removed, contributing to the collapse of the barrier and enclosure wall.
Authorities said the demolition and debris-clearing work had been assigned to ASR under a work order and agreement issued on July 1, 2017. The contractor was allegedly responsible for clearing the old buildings before construction of the proposed new hospital facility.
Based on the findings of the technical investigation, the chief secretary directed officials to initiate criminal proceedings against the contractor. Officials said a notice seeking clarification was issued to the firm through official email on May 14, asking it to respond by May 18. However, no explanation was submitted.
Subsequently, Commercial Street police registered a case under Section 106 of the (causing death by negligence).
Comments
Be the first to share a thought and become theFirst Voiceof this News Article
end of article
In Bengaluru
- Contractor booked for Bowring wall collapse in Bengaluru
- Strengthen cadre and prepare for local body, Nabin tells Karnataka BJP
- Gang in Merc kidnaps, robs cabby & friend over woman in Bengaluru
- Booked house help & got court battle: Bengaluru woman wins Rs 32,000 from firm
- Illegal liquor worth Rs 60 lakh reaches Bengaluru from Delhi via rail, seized
- Four delivery executives booked for Rs 4.2-L product swap fraud in Bengaluru
- 60-day traffic diversion on Kamaraj Road for culvert reconstruction in Bengaluru
Featured In City
- Gang in Merc kidnaps, robs cabby & friend over woman in Bengaluru
- 100 Years of Kannadasan: Tamil Cinema's Enduring Lyricist and Poet Laureate's Legacy
- How brutal summers drive India’s monsoon engine
- Shiv Sena (UBT) MLC Anil Parab Alleges ₹1,400-Crore Scam in Dighi Port Project
- Hold your breath, 40-plus roasting could end on Friday with rain
- CBSE announces refunds for students charged extra during revaluation
- First time: Women docs to head city’s 3 biggest central govt hospitals
Photostories
- 5 amazing red snakes found in India
- 10 underrated wildlife destinations in Asia that are less crowded than popular safari parks
- Feeling tired? 5 worst morning habits for your body
- Avocado vs. Egg: Which is healthier?
- Stop using basic tiles in 2026: These luxury flooring trends are redefining modern real estate
- The 'secret' to Cristiano Ronaldo's unstoppable success isn't what you think
- 5 amazing ideas to make the right impression with your home entrance
- Feeling breathless while climbing stairs? Harvard doctors say it could be an early warning sign of coronary artery disease that many people miss
- India’s most scenic monsoon road trips: safety tips travellers should know
- Weight loss drugs and nutrient deficiency: What nutrients are GLP-1 users lacking?
Videos
06:19 'Fastest Man In India Wears Whites': Indian Navy Lauds Gurindervir Singh As He Sets National Record03:21 Rajarhat New Town Booth Flip Sparks Debate After BJP Wins Narrow Bengal Election Contest | Watch03:01 DMK Leader Udhayanidhi Stalin Says Congress Lacks Gratitude And Political Credibility | Watch08:08 Centre Rolls Out Major Health Support For Bengal Urges State Govt To Accelerate Ayushman Bharat04:17 Tharoor Cites India’s Maldives Water Aid As Example Of Strategic Regional Diplomacy04:06 “Mungerilal Ke Haseen Sapne”: Fadnavis Mocks Rahul Gandhi’s Prediction On NDA Government03:24 Pakistan: At Least 24 Killed, Over 100 Injured In BLA's 'Fidayeen Attack' On Train In Balochistan10:01 Marco Rubio’s Racism Remark, Visa Talks & Quad Push Dominate Joint Presser With Jaishankar- India Raises Concerns Over US Visa Delays As Rubio Defends America’s Immigration Reforms
Hot Picks
Top Trends
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media