Bareilly: Moradabad district administration has ordered an inquiry into alleged financial irregularities in the Chief Minister Samuhik Vivah Yojana after 37 ineligible couples were found on the beneficiary list during a mass wedding involving 1,600 couples on Dec 5 last year, officials said.
The issue surfaced following a complaint by BJP's Kundarki MLA Ramveer Singh, who alleged corruption in beneficiary verification and irregularities in the distribution of household items under the scheme. Acting on the complaint, social welfare minister (independent charge) Asim Arun directed a physical verification of all 1,600 couples married under the scheme.
District magistrate (DM) Anuj Kumar Singh said a district-level committee was formed to examine records of the mass weddings. "The inquiry found that 37 couples did not meet eligibility norms. Of these, 34 cases were from Mundapandey block, while the rest were from the city area and other blocks," he said.
The probe also revealed that several eligible beneficiaries did not receive the mandatory gift kits. The DM said the pending items are now being distributed and warned of departmental action against officials responsible for verification lapses.