This story is from June 15, 2018
Trump approves tariffs on $50 billion worth of Chinese goods, Beijing vows to retaliate
WASHINGTON/BEIJING: US President Donald Trump on Friday announced stiff tariffs of 25 per cent targeting $50 billion in Chinese imports, saying the "very unfair" situation is "no longer sustainable", raising the possibility of a trade war between the world's two largest economies.
In a statement, Trump said a 25 per cent tariff will be applied to
Trade between the two countries "has been very unfair, for a very long time," Trump said, adding that "this situation is no longer sustainable."
The US says its tariffs on Chinese goods are in response to what it categorises as theft of intellectual property.
Trump's approval to impose tariffs on Chinese exports followed a 90-minute meeting he had with Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer yesterday.
Reacting to Trump's latest move, China has vowed to immediately retaliate.
"If the US side adopts unilateral protectionist measures and damages China's interests, we will immediately react and take necessary measures to firmly safeguard our legitimate rights and interests," said China's foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang during a regular news briefing in Beijing.
China had previously said it would respond to American tariffs on $50 billion worth of Chinese exports with retaliatory tariffs on $50 billion of US products such as cars, aircraft and soybeans.
Trump's first announced that the US would impose trade penalties on about $50 billion of Chinese goods in March.
After China warned it would retaliate, Trump threatened tariffs on a further $100 billion of Chinese products.
In mid-May, both sides announced a cease-fire after two rounds of trade negotiations. The countries said in a joint statement that China would "significantly increase" purchases of US agricultural and energy products to reduce the trade imbalance, a top Trump administration demand.
Ten days later, the White House abruptly said it would proceed with the tariffs.
A further round of trade talks in Beijing earlier this month failed to yield any breakthroughs.
President Trump's decision to impose fresh tariffs on China follows his recent imposition of steep tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from Canada, Mexico and the European Union on national security grounds.
Those penalties have been met with consternation by world leaders, and led to a fraught G7 meeting with Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the United Kingdom last weekend.
The European Union and Canada have said they will enact retaliatory tariffs starting in July. Mexico has already retaliated with its own tariffs on US goods.
International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde yesterday warned that the Trump administration's trade policies were likely to hurt the US economy and undermine the world's trade system.
She said a trade war would lead to "losers on both sides" and could have a "serious" impact.
Ready to Master Stock Valuation? ET’s Workshop is just around the corner!
Chinese goods
that "contain industrially significant technologies." The administration was expected to specify the goods later in the day.Trade between the two countries "has been very unfair, for a very long time," Trump said, adding that "this situation is no longer sustainable."
The US says its tariffs on Chinese goods are in response to what it categorises as theft of intellectual property.
Trump's approval to impose tariffs on Chinese exports followed a 90-minute meeting he had with Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer yesterday.
Reacting to Trump's latest move, China has vowed to immediately retaliate.
"If the US side adopts unilateral protectionist measures and damages China's interests, we will immediately react and take necessary measures to firmly safeguard our legitimate rights and interests," said China's foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang during a regular news briefing in Beijing.
Trump's first announced that the US would impose trade penalties on about $50 billion of Chinese goods in March.
After China warned it would retaliate, Trump threatened tariffs on a further $100 billion of Chinese products.
In mid-May, both sides announced a cease-fire after two rounds of trade negotiations. The countries said in a joint statement that China would "significantly increase" purchases of US agricultural and energy products to reduce the trade imbalance, a top Trump administration demand.
Ten days later, the White House abruptly said it would proceed with the tariffs.
A further round of trade talks in Beijing earlier this month failed to yield any breakthroughs.
President Trump's decision to impose fresh tariffs on China follows his recent imposition of steep tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from Canada, Mexico and the European Union on national security grounds.
Those penalties have been met with consternation by world leaders, and led to a fraught G7 meeting with Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the United Kingdom last weekend.
The European Union and Canada have said they will enact retaliatory tariffs starting in July. Mexico has already retaliated with its own tariffs on US goods.
International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde yesterday warned that the Trump administration's trade policies were likely to hurt the US economy and undermine the world's trade system.
She said a trade war would lead to "losers on both sides" and could have a "serious" impact.
Ready to Master Stock Valuation? ET’s Workshop is just around the corner!
Top Comment
Akshay Mahesh
2370 days ago
AKSHAY MAHESH SHRIPAD LAXMAN VIRDIKARRead allPost comment
Popular from Business
- Top 10 biggest wealth creating stocks: Reliance Industries tops list; Adani Green emerges as fastest wealth creator, says MOFSL report
- IndiGo to compete with Air India for business class corporate fliers! Here’s what premium class travellers can look forward to
- PAN 2.0: How to easily apply for PAN Card reprint with QR code - check 6 simple steps online
- Elon Musk’s Tesla to enter India soon? EV maker restarts search for showroom in Delhi-NCR: Report
- Adani pulls out of $553 million US loan deal for Colombo port
end of article
Trending Stories
- Big news for EPFO subscribers! Come 2025, you may be able to withdraw your PF money directly from ATMs: Report
- Vande Bharat Sleeper Is Ready! When Will Indian Railways Roll Out New Train Better Than Rajdhani? Top 10 Features For Passengers
- IndiGo to compete with Air India for business class corporate fliers! Here’s what premium class travellers can look forward to
- Top 10 biggest wealth creating stocks: Reliance Industries tops list; Adani Green emerges as fastest wealth creator, says MOFSL report
- Elon Musk’s Tesla to enter India soon? EV maker restarts search for showroom in Delhi-NCR: Report
- Top 10 Countries With Highest Gold Reserves 2024: India Moves Up Ranks! Where do the US, China Stand? Check List
- Stocks to buy: Why Raamdeo Agrawal is in love with ‘bruised blue chip’ stocks
Visual Stories
- NEET UG 2024 result awaited: Top 10 NIRF-ranked medical colleges of India
- 7 New Expected Bullet Train Routes in India
- 10 Upcoming High-Speed Expressways That Will Change Highway Travel In India
- 8 Transformational Indian Railways Projects You Shouldn’t Miss
- Why Sensex, Nifty50 Hit New Highs, M-Cap At $5 Trillion: Top Reasons
UP NEXT