'Insane': How Elon Musk reacted to EU's $140m fine on X & why the platform was penalised
Elon Musk on Saturday slammed the European Union’s $140 million fine on his social media platform X, calling the penalty “crazy” and “insane” in a post on the site. Taking to the site, he said, "The EU imposed this crazy fine not just on @X, but also on me personally, which is even more insane!"
"Therefore, it would seem appropriate to apply our response not just to the EU, but also to the individuals who took this action against me."
The penalty comes after a two-year investigation into X under the EU’s Digital Services Act (DSA) and represents the first formal non-compliance ruling since the sweeping framework was introduced. The DSA requires major digital platforms to assume greater responsibility for user safety, curb illegal or harmful content, and maintain full transparency in their advertising and data practices.
“Freedom of speech is the bedrock democracy. The only way to know what you are voting for,” he posted earlier on X.
Regulators concluded that X violated three different transparency requirements. According to the Commission, the platform’s current blue checkmark system amounted to “deceptive design practices” that can expose users to scams.
Prior to Musk’s takeover in 2022, badges on the former Twitter were mostly reserved for prominent public figures, however, after the acquisition, X began issuing the symbols to anyone prepared to pay $8 per month. The Commission argued that this system does not “meaningfully verify who's behind the account,” making it harder for users to judge authenticity.
The EU also faulted X for shortcomings in its digital ad database, which is legally required to disclose who paid for advertisements and the audiences targeted. Officials said the platform’s system is weakened by built-in limitations, delays and access obstacles that make it harder for researchers to identify scams and influence campaigns. Regulators further accused X of placing “unnecessary barriers” in the way of researchers seeking public data relevant to systemic risks.
Henna Virkkunen, the EU’s executive vice-president for tech sovereignty, security and democracy, said in a prepared statement, “Deceiving users with blue checkmarks, obscuring information on ads and shutting out researchers have no place online in the EU. The DSA protects users.”
The ruling has fuelled criticism from Washington, where senior officials have long accused Brussels of singling out American technology companies. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio posted on X that the punishment was aimed at the United States rather than at one social platform. “The European Commission’s $140 million fine isn’t just an attack on X, it’s an attack on all American tech platforms and the American people by foreign governments,” Rubio wrote.
“The days of censoring Americans online are over.” Musk went on to agree with his statement.
Vice President JD Vance also pre-empted the decision on X, claiming the Commission sought to fine the platform “for not engaging in censorship.” He added: “The EU should be supporting free speech not attacking American companies over garbage.”
Despite the backlash, European officials rejected suggestions that the DSA is designed to suppress major American firms. Commission spokesperson Thomas Regnier told reporters in Brussels, “The Commission is not targeting anyone, not targeting any company, not targeting any jurisdictions based on their color or their country of origin. Absolutely not. This is based on a process, democratic process.”
In a separate action taken the same day, EU regulators closed another DSA case involving TikTok, after the video platform committed to making changes to ensure full transparency in its advertising database.
Get an chance to win ₹5000 Amazon Voucher by taking part in India's Biggest Habit Index! Take the survey here
The penalty comes after a two-year investigation into X under the EU’s Digital Services Act (DSA) and represents the first formal non-compliance ruling since the sweeping framework was introduced. The DSA requires major digital platforms to assume greater responsibility for user safety, curb illegal or harmful content, and maintain full transparency in their advertising and data practices.
“Freedom of speech is the bedrock democracy. The only way to know what you are voting for,” he posted earlier on X.
Regulators concluded that X violated three different transparency requirements. According to the Commission, the platform’s current blue checkmark system amounted to “deceptive design practices” that can expose users to scams.
Prior to Musk’s takeover in 2022, badges on the former Twitter were mostly reserved for prominent public figures, however, after the acquisition, X began issuing the symbols to anyone prepared to pay $8 per month. The Commission argued that this system does not “meaningfully verify who's behind the account,” making it harder for users to judge authenticity.
The EU also faulted X for shortcomings in its digital ad database, which is legally required to disclose who paid for advertisements and the audiences targeted. Officials said the platform’s system is weakened by built-in limitations, delays and access obstacles that make it harder for researchers to identify scams and influence campaigns. Regulators further accused X of placing “unnecessary barriers” in the way of researchers seeking public data relevant to systemic risks.
The ruling has fuelled criticism from Washington, where senior officials have long accused Brussels of singling out American technology companies. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio posted on X that the punishment was aimed at the United States rather than at one social platform. “The European Commission’s $140 million fine isn’t just an attack on X, it’s an attack on all American tech platforms and the American people by foreign governments,” Rubio wrote.
“The days of censoring Americans online are over.” Musk went on to agree with his statement.
Vice President JD Vance also pre-empted the decision on X, claiming the Commission sought to fine the platform “for not engaging in censorship.” He added: “The EU should be supporting free speech not attacking American companies over garbage.”
Despite the backlash, European officials rejected suggestions that the DSA is designed to suppress major American firms. Commission spokesperson Thomas Regnier told reporters in Brussels, “The Commission is not targeting anyone, not targeting any company, not targeting any jurisdictions based on their color or their country of origin. Absolutely not. This is based on a process, democratic process.”
In a separate action taken the same day, EU regulators closed another DSA case involving TikTok, after the video platform committed to making changes to ensure full transparency in its advertising database.
Get an chance to win ₹5000 Amazon Voucher by taking part in India's Biggest Habit Index! Take the survey here
Expand
Popular from Business
- Dragon vs Eagle: Can US survive 'China Shock 2.0'? India could soften blow
- Binance names co-founder Yi He as co-CEO as user base nears 300 million
- Warner Bros-Netflix deal: Is the Tudum effect harmful for Indian cinema? 'The risk is two-fold'
- IndiGo crisis: InterGlobe Aviation 'doing everything possible' to ensure refunds; crisis management group set up
- Air India crash: Investigators to meet in US next week; Boeing and other agencies to attend
end of article
Trending Stories
- Anna Kournikova and Enrique Iglesias combined net worth in 2025: Tennis career, music earnings, endorsements, business and more
- Serena Williams and Venus Williams combined net worth in 2025: Tennis sisters, earnings, endorsements, business, career and more
- “Family” - LeBron James sends heartfelt message to fans from Toronto highlighting viral clip from post-game interview
07:09 23 killed in Goa's Arpora nightclub fire: CM Sawant confirms tragedy; vows strict action- Goa Nightclub Fire Live Updates: FIR lodged against owner and general manager
- No calls and emails after office hours: Right to Disconnect Bill introduced in Lok Sabha to set workplace boundaries
- Tariffs to put 'America first': Is Donald Trump spelling doom for US? Economics explained
Featured in Business
- Stock market outlook: Fed rate call and FII flows set the tone; CPI, rupee in focus this week
- India-EU trade talks: EU delegation to meet Piyush Goyal on FTA progress; issues yet to be ironed out
- Grid shift: Power minister urges DISCOMs to speed up smart distribution; AI-led, consumer-centric systems pitched
- Aadhaar checks: UIDAI plans rule to mandate registration for verifiers; push paperless verification
- 'Not accurate': Elon Musk denies $800 billion valuation bid for SpaceX; cites strong cash flow
- Paint sector watch: Companies expect Q3 volume pickup on better margins; pricing pressure persists
Photostories
- Your soul purpose as per your birth month; goosebumps guaranteed!
- 10 best natural sources of vitamin C to boost immunity and health
- 10 questions that surprisingly deepen emotional intimacy
- Bigg Boss 19: From being praised for his calm gameplay to Salman Khan calling him ‘Superstar of TV’; finalist Gaurav Khanna’s journey in the show
- 'Bigg Boss 19': Friendships that stood strong this season
- Bigg Boss 19 Highlights: Salman Khan to announce winner from Top 5 finalists Gaurav Khanna, Farrhana Bhatt, Tanya Mittal, Amaal Mallik and Pranit More
- Colorectal surgeon shares 5 things she avoids to lower colon cancer risk
- Bigg Boss 19: From opening up about his strained relationship with uncle Anu Malik, his aggressive fights to nepotism debate: A look at finalist Amaal Mallik's journey
- Raw amla vs amla juice: Which is healthier
- ‘Bigg Boss': Top wild card contestants over the years
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment