Georgia Hyundai plant raid: US-South Korea finalise deal for workers' release; here’s what’s happening

South Korea and the United States finalized an agreement for the release of South Korean nationals detained during an immigration raid at a Hyundai plant in Georgia. Over 300 South Koreans were among the 475 individuals taken into custody during the operation, which targeted a plant under construction for electric vehicle battery production.
Georgia Hyundai plant raid: US-South Korea finalise deal for workers' release; here’s what’s happening
South Korea struck a deal with the United States, on Sunday, securing the release of its nationals detained during an immigration raid at a Hyundai plant in Georgia.Presidential chief of staff, Kang Hoon-sik, declared that the two nations had completed negotiations and only administrative formalities were pending. He further added that Seoul would arrange a chartered flight to bring the workers back once those steps were finalised.
Screams, Chains, Panic: Inside ICE’s Biggest Worksite Raid; Hyundai Georgia Plant Turns 'War Zone'
According to foreign minister Cho Hyun, more than 300 South Koreans were among the 475 people taken into custody during Thursday’s operation.The raid was part of the Trump administration’s broader deportation drive, but stood out because of its scale and its focus on a major manufacturing project described by state leaders as Georgia’s largest economic development initiative.Footage released by US immigration and customs enforcement showed convoys of vehicles entering the site as federal agents ordered workers to assemble outside. Several were made to press their hands against a bus before being frisked and shackled at the wrists, ankles and waist.The operation targeted a plant still under construction, where Hyundai and LG Energy Solution are working together to produce batteries for electric vehicles.
During the operation, several workers had attempted to flee. Some crawled into air ducts while others jumped into a sewage pond, only to be retrieved by agents using a boat. Homeland Security Investigations had earlier said that those taken into custody included people who had crossed the border illegally, overstayed visas, or breached visa waiver rules. After the detention, Cho Hyun said President Lee Jae Myung had ordered “all-out necessary measures” to support those affected.

author
About the Author
TOI Business Desk

The TOI Business Desk is a vigilant and dedicated team of journalists committed to delivering the latest and most relevant business news from around the world to readers of The Times of India. The primary focus of the TOI Business Desk is to keep a watchful eye on the global business landscape, covering a wide spectrum of industries, markets, economic trends, in-depth analysis, exclusive reports and breaking stories that impact businesses and economies. With a mission to provide valuable insights and updates, the desk ensures that TOI readers are well-informed about the ever-changing and dynamic world of commerce and can navigate the complexities of the business world.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media