Continue on TOI App
Open App
OPEN APP

Bhushan Steel owner moves NCLAT on bid

Reeba Zachariah & Sidhartha | TNN

Tired of too many ads?go ad free now
Mumbai/New Delhi: A day after Tata Steel received the nod from the National Company Law Tribunal (

NCLT

) to acquire

Bhushan Steel

, the promoter of the bankrupt company has filed a plea with the appellate tribunal

NCLAT

over the deal. The matter is listed for admission on May 17.

Though the grounds on which Bhushan Steel promoter Neeraj Singhal has made the appeal couldn’t be ascertained, Tata Steel said that it will contest the case. Tata Steel has offered Rs 35,200 crore for a 73% stake in Bhushan Steel, the first domestic metal company that served the automotive sector.

Lenders will hold 12% in the company by converting a part of the debt into equity, while Singhal’s stake is expected to come down from 8% to 2% after the completion of the transaction.

The proposed acquisition is expected to increase Tata Steel’s debt, which as on March 31 was Rs 92,147 crore. Tata Steel said that it intends to retain 5,000 employees of Bhushan Steel, which has a 5.6-million-tonne capacity. On the bankruptcy proceedings, Tata Steel CFO Koushik Chatterjee said it has been a learning experience for all stakeholders with the company seeing parties “interfering, delaying, postponing” the process. “If the bids are right, the judiciary will see through this.”

Besides Bhushan Steel, Tata Steel is fighting a legal battle with UK’s

Liberty House

over the bankrupt

Bhushan Power

and Steel. The company had earlier shown interest in the debt-ridden Electrosteel Steels, but lost the race.


Ready to Master Stock Valuation? ET’s Workshop is just around the corner!
About the Author

Reeba Zachariah

Reeba Zachariah is assistant corporate editor at The Times of Ind... Read More
Continue Reading
Follow Us On Social Media
end of article
More Trending Stories
Visual Stories
More Visual Stories
UP NEXT
Do Not Sell Or Share My Personal Information